Concerned over breast shape? (photos)

I am 9 days post op breast augmentation, I'm concerned with the look of my implants, such as sitting very high on my chest near collar bone, and not looking round and full as I'd hoped, is it too early for me to worry about breast size/shape and where they sit? Is this normal?

Breast shape

It is entirely too early to judge your result. I takes a solid 6 weeks to start to see your result but really the answer is 3 to 6 months.

Breast shape after implants

It is not uncommon to have an awkward appearance to the breast following breast augmentation. The implant is typically placed under the muscle ( subpectoral). The skin and breast tissue is projected anteriorly. All three components need to accomodate the implant. This invoves stretching of the skin and breast tissue which should ultimately allow the implant to descend and "round out". I tell my patients the the entire process may take up to three months. Post operative massages with banding and compression may speed the process

Nick Masri, MD

Drop & Fluff

Thank you for your question and photos. Breast implants will take between 2-6 months to drop and fluff. in the early weeks post op, with pectoral muscles swollen and tight tissue pushing the implant volume up, they can appear compressed, squared and quite high. I recommend that you speak with your Plastic Surgeon about your expected recovery timeline.
All the best

Breast aug concerns

Thank you for your question. You are in very early phase of healing. Your breasts will continue to change in the coming several weeks. Please follow ins ructions from your PS and re evaluate in 3-4 months.

Breast shape

At 9 days out, your implants are likely high and can take several months for them to settle into the pocket. Best to give them time to heal.

Breast implant settling

Breast augmentation takes time to recover depending on the size of the implants, the shape and size of the breast and the location of the implants above or below the muscle.  Sub muscular implants take longer to "settle" when the muscle fatigues and can take up to 6 weeks.  Some patients muscle never relaxes and they are better served by sub-fascial implants which soften and settle quicker (2 weeks).  Congenital tuberous breast deformities take time for the skin to relax and recruit new skin to grow to shape the breast which can take up to 3 months for severe deficiencies.

Concerned over breast shape?

You are extremely early into your recovery to be concerned about their shape and location at this point. Breast augmentation healing can take several months to a year before a final result can be seen. Be patient at this point and follow all instructions provided by your surgeon. 

Lawrence Bundrick, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question and pictures.  It is very early to be concerned about implant location.   You need at least 3-4 months to know the final location of the implants.  Ask you PS if he recommends massages to help the implants drop into place.

Ramiro Morales, Jr., MD
Pembroke Pines Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation

Thank you for your question and photographs.It is important to address any post-operative concerns with your primary surgeon.  You are still very early on in your recovery. Swelling after a breast augmentation occurs with 100% of patients, eventually the swelling will go down and your breasts will drop into their pockets.  If the breasts are too high, the use of a breast binder is beneficial to add downward pressure. I would continue to wear your surgical bra, ice your breasts on and off and perform your breast massages. Your doctor may also prescribe you a Medrol dose pack (steroid) to help with the swelling. I hope this helps.
Best of luck in your recovery!

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

9 days post op

I would not be overly concerned. It is common for implants under the muscle to look high, especially at  9 Days after surgery.  With time your implants should settle. I advise my patients who have implants under the muscle that it routinely takes 3 months to a year for the implants to settle and soften.

Barry M. Schwartz, MD
Weston Plastic Surgeon