I have a 2cm small tissue (gyno) under areola. Any treatment other than surgery? I am 20, can it go itself with time?

It had been with me since 1 year now and only on right chest, i do take marijuana though i stopped after reading it causes this gyno. also i wanted to know if testosterone booster(natural) or estrogen blocker can help me out so that this tissue go away itself.? I dont like one chest firm while other is puffy. i have 12% body fat, it dont look that bad coz of low body fat so i wont go for surgery anyways.

Doctor Answers 5

Causes of Gynecomastia

The male breast is composed of glandular tissue and fatty tissue. An excess in either type of tissue can cause the chest to take on the look of gynecomastia. Gynecomastia can affect #men of all different body types. There are different types of #gynecomastia.

According to official statistics, 36% of adult young men and 57% of older #adult men in the United States have this medical condition in one of the four grades. 
About 200,000 to 3 million cases of #gynecomastia are being reported every single year. So if you have #breast #enlargement and you feel you're an exception, please understand that 1 in 3 young adult #men and 1 in 2 older adult men are just like you and have breast #enlargement.
Several common factors can cause gynecomastia including excessive levels of #estrogen, natural #hormone changes, use of recreational drugs or alcohol, medications and their associated side effects, and, various health conditions. Also, there are different types of #gynecomastia.
There are three types of surgical #treatment #options available that treat gynecomastia. Your board-certified plastic surgeon will recommend the type best suited for you. 
The most important decision to be made before performing any surgical procedure is determining whether you are an ideal #candidate. 

Orange County Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 110 reviews


Thank you for your questions.  The only way to immediately ensure that you will successful rid of any glandular is through male breast reduction surgery performed by a board certified plastic surgeon.  Lowering body fat, ceasing marijuana smoking, and monitoring your hormonal levels are key to a healthy lifestyle but will not have the same effects that corrective surgery would.

All the best,


Jose M. Soler-Baillo, MD
Miami Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 92 reviews

Unilateral gynecomastia TX

It can be done with the right surgeon.
How should I choose a surgeon?
Selecting a surgeon is as important a choice as the decision to undergo surgery. Choose carefully. The decision is yours. What follows is some advice to assist in making your selection.
1. Experience matters. Choosing a surgeon who has performed over one thousand gynecomastia cases increases the likelihood that they have seen a case similar to yours in the past. Selecting a surgeon whose practice is focused on gynecomastia exclusively is also an indicator of experience.
2. Results matter. The more before-and-after pictures a surgeon displays, the better. Pay attention not just to the number of pictures, but whether the surgeon is confident enough to show multiple angles of the same patient.
3. Reviews matter. Have patients reviewed your surgeon? Did those patients undergo the surgery you are considering?
4. Expertise matters. Is your surgeon recognized by the profession as an authority in the field? Are they certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery? Have they authored books or medical journal articles regarding your surgery?
We hope these guidelines are of assistance when you are selecting your surgeon. When undergoing surgery, it is very important to be realistic about your expectations. Past results are not a guarantee of future results. Also, revision surgery tends to be significantly more difficult than initial surgery.

Mordcai Blau, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 76 reviews

I have a 2cm small tissue (gyno) under areola. Any treatment other than surgery? I am 20, can it go itself with time?

Stopping marijuana and hormones will help, but the gynecomastia you have now will need to be excised.  Consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to discuss your options.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD
Atlanta Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 62 reviews

I have a 2cm small tissue (gyno) under areola. Any treatment other than surgery? I am 20, can it go itself with time?

Stopping the marijuana and any hormonal therapy will help but ultimately if symptoms do not resolve, corrective surgery with excision and liposuction is a great solution.

Ron Hazani, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills General Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 293 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.