I've been wanting a rhinoplasty (among other procedures) since I was 13. My nose is too big for my face & has a bump (Photo)

I have a deviated septum, but the looks of my nose are what bother me the most. I'm a petite woman, my nose has a very droopy tip & my nostrils are too big. They flare up when I smile. It has a bump when I turn to the side. Just when I think I found a good surgeon, I also find a ton of bad reviews online. Most of the before/after images I look at online are nothing similar to what I want. Most of them just slim down the bridge & leave the nostrils wide. It looks terrible. Any recommendations?

Rhinoplasty Considerations

Congratulations on your thoughtful approach regarding your interest in septorhinoplasty. I believe you are an excellent candidate for nasal surgery. The most important and challenging decision is to choose the best, experienced Facial Plastic Surgeon with whom you feel both personally comfortable with and also confident in achieving your goals. There is no substitute for an in-person consultation with a few physicians. Each may have specialized interests in rhinoplasty and can share recommendations and patient portfolios for your consideration. Meeting the physician and staff will also help you sort through the various credibility of online posts and reviews. I am confident that you can find a trusted specialist who shares your goals and sensibilities for rhinoplasty. It may take you some time, but the effort is well worth the investment of your energy. Best wishes. 

Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Septorhinoplasty

Thank you for your question and photographs.

I would recommend that you schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in rhinoplasty so they can perform a nasal examination and recommend to you the best options to achieve your cosmetic goals. Based on the photographs you have posted, I believe you may benefit from a septoprhinoplasty along with an alarplasty. The dorsal hump on the bridge of your nose can be removed by cutting out the extra cartilage along with filing of the bone to smooth it out, along with some tip refinement which consists of trimming the lower lateral cartilages and placing precision sutures to refine the tip and make it look more pleasing. An alarplasty is the technique that is commonly used for nostril reduction. This procedure consists of making an incision on the inside or outside of the nostrils then removing a specific amount of tissue. To correct the problems you are having with your deviated septum, I believe you may benefit from a septoplasty. The septoplasty may be covered by insurance if it is considered medically necessary. I hope this helps. Best of luck in your endeavors!
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

I've been wanting a rhinoplasty (among other procedures) since I was 13. My nose is too big for my face & has a bump

I think that all of those things can be accomplished with a closed rhinoplasty and an alar base reduction.

Great candidate

Hello. I think you are a great candidate for a rhinoplasty. In terms of your nostrils, I think you would benefit from alar rim grafts to address slightly retracted alae. Not so much a nostril reduction. Once you find the right rhinoplasty surgeon you will feel comfortable with proceeding with surgery.

Marcelo Ghersi, MD