Just wanted to ask about my healing? Normal or not? (photos)

I had a minor gynecomastia so I had my gynecomastia surgery exactly three weeks ago. And I went to see the doctor 2 weeks ago. He removed the sutures and said the healing is very good but I think there's small split under my left areola along the incision line. Also mention how much should I expect about swelling. And is it okay if I remove my compression garment for about 3 to 4 hours in a day? Thank you.

What to Expect after Gynecomastia Surgery

Following #Gynecomastia #surgery, your incisions will go through a maturation #process. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. 

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. 

Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Just wanted to ask about my healing? Normal or not?

I would not recommend that. Please follow up with your doctor as these issues require the attention of a plastic surgeon.

Ron Hazani, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills General Surgeon

Early Post Operative Healing

Hi,

Thanks for the post and the photos. At two weeks you are still very early in the healing process. Final results can take up to six months.  I would say that based on the photos you have presented, you are recovering very nicely at the two week period. I would recommend that you wear your compression garment based on your surgeon's recommendation.

Sincerely,

Dr. Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD

Healing

Thank you for the photos.  One of the hardest things about gynecomastia surgery is the waiting.  Swelling can last for weeks to months.  And things like this can be discouraging.  However, stay the course.  Wear the garmet as your doc suggested and be patient.  I wouldn't worry about this at this early stage in the game.

Tim Neavin, MD