I found some hairs on my handkerchief, is this normal? (Photo)

Today its 7th day from my operation i had covered my hairs with handkerchief when i removed it i had found some of my hairs in the handkerchief along with their roots is it normal.

Lost Grafts After Hair Transplant Surgery

Losing grafts with roots is not normal, however shedding transplanted hair is normal and usually begins about 2 weeks after surgery. See your doctor for follow up.

Seattle Hair Restoration Surgeon

Baldev Sandhu MD

No this is not normal. Your doctor should have directed you to leave it unwrapped for two weeks. Using a baseball cap that allows air flow. Tight head wraps such as a handkerchief dry on the hairs making it possible to pull them out.

Speak to your doctor about the situation and see if he can do something about it.

Thank You

Baldev Sandhu MD

Shedding of the grafts

Shedding of the grafts at about this point in time is normal after a hair transplant. The shedding usually continues for the next few week and most of the grafts may disappear to return at between 4-6 months again as hair

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hair Shed at day 7 post op

The photo appears normal.  You should expect the grafts to begin to shed.  No need to be concerned about losing a graft at this point.  They are in place, well.  Unless you see bleeding, the graft is now your own.

Transplanted hairs fall out in a few weeks. New hairs will grow out in 6 to 12 months. You may see some growth at 3 to 4 month

Transplanted hairs fall out in a few weeks.  New hairs will grow out in 6 to 12 months.  Seeing a few hairs fall out after surgery is normal.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon