Multiple Procedures Including Mini Face Lift. Golf Ball Size Swell Above Left Eye Including Swelling into Eye?

Mini F.L. & upper and lower blep surgery, fat transfers, & resect of corrugator muscle bilateral .1 wk post surgery cried in morn& when I went into bathroom to wash eyes, one eye started 2swell shut& area above eye by corrugator muscle had huge swell. I saw doc that afternoon. He said he never saw patient with this reaction. Said it is hard, could be a bleed. Said it could be simple swelling. Too soon to tell. Doc said might have to go back in to look.. Opinions and options pls??

Hematoma vs swelling after corrugator resection

I'm sorry to hear about your experience, but I hope it will be temporary! It sounds like it could be a hematoma (collection of blood in the tissues). These can sometimes occur in the weeks following surgery. Sometimes the blood can be drained with a needle ( if it is liquified), sometimes it needs to be removed through a small incision (if it is a clot), and sometimes it will just go away on its own. Without seeing you, it would be hard to predict which would be most appropriate. If you are not 100% comfortable with your doctor, you could seek a second opinion, but generally it is best to allow one doctor to manage your care since that doctor is most familiar with your procedure.

Jupiter Plastic Surgeon

Golf Ball Size Swell Above Left Eye Including Swelling into Eye

The healing process in general can take up to one month for the majority of swelling to subside, incisions to close, sutures to come out, and for bruising to completely go away. #Recovery time from a #facelift varies from person to person, but patients can generally expect to be presentable within three weeks from surgery. Patients should expect swelling, bruising, and discoloration of the skin during this phase of recovery (swelling normally goes down after 48 hours; most bruising will go away within two weeks). Some degree of firmness or lumpiness under the skin is normal after surgery and will resolve with time. Local #massage of the areas may accelerate the resolution of this problem, which normally takes 2-4 months to disappear completely.

The marks from a facelift can easily hidden with “camouflage” make-up which you can learn how to apply. The scars from a facelift mature within six to twelve months from the surgery date. It is during this time that the rejuvenating effects of the facelift will become apparent and the real result will be seen. If you have certain concerns about the procedures and #healing process, it is recommended to call your board-certified surgeon or their medical staff and discuss those #concerns.

Sounds like a hematoma

A golf ball sized swelling on the face, one week following a facial rejuvenation procedure is most likely a hematoma. I agree that going back to drain it may be the best option.

Kevin Brenner, MD, FACS

Swelling following facelift.

Thanks very much for your question.  I am sorry that you are having any of these issues.  I would need to at least see a photo to know for certain.  It may be swelling that will go away on it's own.  Even if it was a small hematoma, these often will resolve on their own.  You should see your surgeon regularly until the problem resolves.

Shaun Parson, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Swelling around the eye following cosmetic surgery

Hello, and sorry to hear about the issue you are experiencing. In general, the side effects of a facelift can include the following:

1) Swelling
2) Firmness
3) Bleeding
4) Numbness
5) Bruising
6) Nerve injury that is temporary but sometimes permanent

From what it sounds like, you may have a hematoma. Swelling can be a factor as well, as it is still very soon after your surgery. I would recommend staying in close contact with your surgeon and following all of his/her recommendations. The best thing right now would be to give it some time and settle down, and treat the area as directed. If it is a hematoma, your surgeon will take the necessary steps to take care of it. I hope this helps, and feel better!

Jonathan Kulbersh, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Mini Facelift, Upper and Lower Eyelid Surgery and Golf Ball Sized Swelling

I am sure that your plastic surgeon will take very good care of you.  This type of massive swelling you are describing sounds like a hematoma but may be a seroma as well.  Drainage of this area probably makes the most sense to reduce the chance of contour deformity later.  However, I have not examined you and your plastic surgeon is in a better position to treat you.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Problems after mini-face lift, eye lid lifts and corrugator resection

Thank you for your question about your healing after your mini-face lift, upper and lower lid lifts and corrugator resection (removal of frown muscle.) 

• If your blood pressure is high, it needs prompt treatment. 
  • Causes include allergies, fluid shifts from sleep position, bleedinginfection
  • If things don't improve quickly, a small needle aspiration of the swelling may show the cause if it is bleeding or infection. Surgery may be needed,
  • I am sorry about your complication. Hope this helps.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD