Blood clot has developed to lower lid area and wondering what can be done? Can it eventually go away on its own? (Photos)

I had upper and lower blepharoplasty including removing the muscles. Blood clot has developed to lower lid area and wondering what can be done? Can it eventually go away on its own? I've been using warm to hot compress. Post op 5 weeks. Complications: a huge blood clot developed few days post op and had it expressed 14 days post op; pics are before surgery; 14 th day pre and post clot removal; and most recent pic is 5 weeks post op.

Blood clot (hematoma) after blepharoplasty

Thank you surgeon! He/she did the right thing by evacuating the hematoma. This should be a lesson to all plastic surgeons as if the hematoma was left to resolve, I am fairly certain your result would have been much worse. The wound could have opened up. The skin could have be necrosed (turned black and died) over the blood clot leaving you with a huge wound. Finally, the skin left over could be permanently stained with hemosiderin leaving you with an awful dark wrinkly circle on that side. 
You are healing well. Give it a little more time, maybe a laser treatment, and it should settle out beautifully. 

Pasadena Plastic Surgeon

Your on the road to healing

and your clot is essentially gone.  Let your body heal and then if you have residual wrinkles or bumps, you should be able to discuss them with your surgeon to see what options are out there for you to further improve your results.  You're healing very well when you consider were you were 2 weeks post-op.

Curtis Wong, MD

HEMATOMA AFTER BLEPHAROPLASTY SURGERY

Dear Teriwojcik, You do seem to have some improvement at this time and this should continue to get better as the swelling and bruising continue to dissipate. Generally once a hematoma is recognized it is drained so the patient can start the healing process. I am not sure what the surgeons reasoning for waiting fourteen days to drain the blood was this can be a dangerous situation and the evacuation of a hematoma should be treated rapidly. Continue your surgeons post operative instructions and wishing you a quick recovery. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Hematoma after lower lid blepharoplasty

Your 5 week post-operative photo shows tremendous improvement compared to day 14. At this point, nightly ointment on the lids and warm compresses daily will help the healing. Waiting 4-6 months to see the final results would be a good strategy. Be sure to continue your follow-up appointments with your surgeon. 

Sara A. Kaltreider, MD
Charlottesville Oculoplastic Surgeon

TREAT ASAP

Post operative hematomas following blepharoplasty should be drained ASAP after identified. They will eventually reabsorb if ignored but have a high incidence of unfavorable cosmetic and functional results including ectropion and scleral show. 

It is wise to check patients the day after surgery and evacuate any hematomas before dense clotting occurs.

Avoid blood thinners before and after surgery (Vitamin E, Aspirin, Fish oil, etc.)

Luis Villar, MD, FACS