Am I a candidate for coolsculpting, Vaser shape, ultrashape? Or do I need liposuction? Abdominoplasty? Skinny fat!!! (photo)

40 yr old advanced practice nurse and mom of 2, 128 lbs and 5'9. Wondering if noninvasive fat reduction (coolsculpting vs ??) and skin tightening (with Vaser shape vs ??)is a good option for me. I've always had a tummy even though I'm skinny. Would love to have a waist line and no rolls over my jeans. I'm willing to do the surgery but would like honest opinion. I am going ahead with an intervention this spring just needing all the advice I can get!

Better late than never

All of the above.  I have Coolsculpting, UltraShape and VelaShape III in my office and find that treatment with SuperMode on UltraShape has delivered beyond any study I have seen.  Combine that with VelaShape between the UltraShape sessions and you have aa win-win.  

Fort Lauderdale Dermatologic Surgeon

VASER Hi Definition Liposuction / Body Contouring with Fat Grafting

you would do great with a hi definition contouring procedure and using that fat to lift the buttock.  I suggest seeing a cosmetic dermatologist with experience. Best, Dr. Emer.

Am I a candidate for coolsculpting, Vaser shape, ultrashape? Or do I need liposuction? Abdominoplasty?

Thank you for the question and picture. Based on your pregnancy history, photographs, and stated goals, you will likely do best with a full tummy tuck operation. Generally speaking, the “ideal” patient for tummy tuck surgery is one who has completed pregnancies, is psycho socially/emotionally/financially stable, has an excellent social support system surrounding him/her, is capable of arranging enough recovery time, does not smoke and who has reached a long-term stable weight.

For the vast majority of patients who have had pregnancies and/or weight loss a full abdominoplasty is necessary to achieve the desired results. When the time is right, seek consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience helping patients achieve the types of outcomes you would be pleased with. You may wish to specifically look at the appearance of the umbilicus on their before/after pictures, given your concerns.
 You may find the attached link, dedicated to tummy tuck surgery concerns, helpful to you as you learn more. Best wishes.

Combination treatment for best results

Hi Kalgirl. Thanks for your question. Of course, an in-person consultation and evaluation is needed to determine which treatments would be best for you and whether you are a suitable candidate for them. Looking at your picture it seems that you would benefit from non-surgical treatments, depending on your goals. Of the non-surgical treatments I think the best would be CoolSculpting for the fat reduction along with ThermiTight to tighten the loose skin. The key is that you find an experienced provider that can help you get the best results using combination treatments. Hope this helps answer your question!

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon

Am I a candidate for coolsculpting, Vaser shape, ultrashape? Or do I need liposuction? Abdominoplasty? Skinny fat!!!

Thank you for your question. I would recommend seeing a board certified plastic surgeon for a consultation. This way, you can explain your concerns and find an option that fits you best.  An in-person assessment is always best.Regards,

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Hi and thanks for your question. Without an examination it's difficult to give you the best option but it does appear you would benefit from coolsculpting to reduce the excess fat. The skin tightening procedures seem to produce minimal results in most patients. Good luck.

Richard Chaffoo, MD, FACS, FICS
Triple Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Richard Chaffoo, MD, FACS

Abdominal Fat and Coolsculpting

You look like yo would be an excellent candidate for Coolsculpting since you only have a bulge that you need to have addressed.  An in person consultation is the only way to assess you properly.  Special care should be done to make sure that you do not have a hernia that might preclude this treatment. Best, Dr. Green

Options for body contouring following pregnancies

Dear kalgirl:

Thanks for sharing your photos. 

Your best option to achieve the best most flattening and flattering improvement is a tummy tuck with body lipo-contouring. 

Other options for fat reduction and skin tightening will not provide the abdominal fascial corset tightening of a nulliparous (no prior pregnancy) woman. 

Each option certainly has its assets and limitations. If you are unable to take a prolonged recovery then consider:
  • liposuction or CoolSculpting for fat reduction
  • no laser/ultrasound/radio-frequency device to date is satisfactory for skin tightening.
  • return to a well experienced, skilled and talented, Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for a tummy tuck.

All the best!

Dean P. Kane, MD, FACS