Is it a normal thing to feel ridges of the breast implant? I am a thin athletic person, 102 pounds and 5"1 in height.

On the sides and bottom of my breasts, I can feel the implant. I can actually see where my implant starts and my natural breast is. Is this normal?

You are going to see the difference just after the procedure. However it is necessary to wait for some time in order to see the final result. After the breast augmentation operation the recovery period depends on your physical status, age, general health and condition mainly. The operation itself does not take too long therefore you receive a mild anesthesia. Since the anesthesia that you receive is mild; you will not have problems associated with anesthetic agents after the operation. This is especially important and can be achieved with only a team of plastic surgeons like we have. After the operation you will be advised to wear a corset in order to reduce the edema. You can start to do your daily activities just after the operations but we do not advise you heavy lifting, running or activities that require excess physical activity. The more you rest, the faster your recovery will be.

Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Thin women and breast augmentation

Hi,

Thanks for posting your question. I am happy to try and help you. It is important to remember that a board certified plastic surgeon will be your best resource when it comes to an accurate assessment of your situation, and concerns.

Having said that, thin women have a higher risk of implant palpability and implant show. This is very common with someone of your height and weight. If you do not like it, you may to try and increase the tissue coverage in that area or change implants. You can increase tissue coverage by adding fat to the area. In order to do this you have to have some fat stores elsewhere on your body. In some cases the thin woman does not have any extra fat. Those are the most difficult cases.

Dr. Michael J. Brown
Northern Virginia Plastic Surgeon

Is it normal to feel the implants?

Yes, especially if you are thin and have little coverage. Not sure if your implants are under or over the muscle but you may want to consider under muscle placement sometime in the future to get the most coverage possible.

Ridges of the breast implants

Depending on how much tissue is covering your implant, patients may feel (and see) the folds of the implants.  With certain implant types (410 implants) and sub muscular implant placement, one can feel the implant ridges/ripples less.  

I can feel my implant

Congratulations on your recent breast surgery!   The ability to feel the implant depends on the amount of fat and breast tissue you have covering the implant. For instance, if you are a thin and fit individual with very little breast tissue, you will be able to see and feel the implant. This is normal and nothing to be very concerned about. Best of luck!

Feeling Breast Implant

The ability to feel your implant depends on the amount of tissue covering it. It sounds like you are naturally very thin with minimal breast tissue so even though the pectoralis muscle may be covering the upper portion of the implant, the bottom portion is likely being covered by your natural breast tissue. 

#PlasticSurgery #BreastAug #Implants #BreastImplants #choosingimplants #feelimplants 

Implant visibility

Yes, it is very common if you are thin person to see the lower portion of the implant.  The upper portion of the implant is covered by muscle so you do not see it.  The lower portion is where the muscle is released to allow the implant to be put in to place.  If you do not have a lot of breast tissue or body fat, then seeing the implant is completely normal.  It is best to discuss these concerns with your plastic surgeon.

Francis Johns, MD
Greensburg Plastic Surgeon

Implant visibility and palpability

How much you see (implant visibility) and feel (palpability) an implant is controlled by only two things. The implant itself and the amount and quality of tissue that cover the device. It sounds like you don't have a lot of tissue to hide the implant so the device plays a large role. You don't mention the type of implant you have. Discuss your concerns with your surgeon. Best of luck. 

Palpable implant

Thank you for your question.  Yes, if you are very thin or have very little breast tissue, it is common to feel the implant and possible see rippling and wrinkling in the lower pole and outer portion of the breast.  the upper aspect of the implant is typically covered by the muscle so that it is not visible in a thin patient.  Patients with larger breasts may opt for placement over the muscle if there is adequate tissue to cover the upper implant.  But even in these patients, they may have thinner tissues along the bottom and outer breast and may notice the implant upon palpation.  Good luck.