Moving Lumps After Breast Augmentation

I am 58 years old, and I have developed lumps that move around in my left breast. My breast muscle also feels "tired" and the feeling goes down my left arm. It has been two years since my breast implants were put, in so I was wondering if there is a connection to the surgery after this period of time. My right one is just fine, only the left.

Doctor Answers 9

Make an appointment with your plastic surgeon!

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}


I cannot overemphasize the importance to see your treating plastic surgeon for a follow up visit. There are numerous possibilities to explain what is going on. Bottom line: A thorough history and examination will need to be performed by your plastic surgeon. No doubt, imaging studies will need to be obtained to assist in establishing a diagnosis and a treatment plan. If your treating plastic surgeon is not available, then please schedule an appointment with a board certified eligible plastic surgeon who is experienced in breast surgery. I hope this helps!

Englewood Plastic Surgeon

Must examine lumps after breast implants.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}


You may just be feeling the edge of the implant after your breast augmentation, but any breast lump has to be taken very seriously.  See your doctor right away. 

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)
Manhattan Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants and lumps

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Lumps in the breast at anytime should be carefully evaluated. You should probably make an appointment to see your plastic surgeon to have this checked out.  It could be nothing but you want to make sure it is not a malignancy.



Steven Wallach, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.2 out of 5 stars 30 reviews

Get an examination

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The lumps may be related to your implant surgery or something else. The tired feeling may be due to a capsular contracture.

I advise that you see your surgeon, get a mammogram if not current, just to be sure.

You should check with your internist and plastic surgeon

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

At 58 years old, there are certainly cardiac and breast cancer related causes of the symptoms you are describing and these should be evaluated soon by your general internist. To write them all off as implant related without evaluating your heart and breasts would be inappropriate. If this all checks out, however, then go to your plastic surgeon for a check of the implants.

See a General Surgery trained Plastic Surgeon

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Women with implants must address any breast lumps or other changes in their breast just like they would if they didn't have implants. I would recommend that you see a General Surgery trained Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. You will need mammograms and possibly ultra sound or even a MRI. Your plastic surgeon should know what to do. If you need a needle aspiration or biopsy your plastic surgeon should be the one to do it, because you may need the implant removed or replaced depending on what they find. Be careful, as some well-intentioned physicians may needle aspirate your implant.

Carl W. "Rick" Lentz III, MD
Orlando Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 17 reviews

Breast changes after augmentation

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

My primary concern is the difference in the two breasts. Clearly, there are many causes and explanations for what you are describing, but usually, this should effect BOTH breasts. Please return to your plastic surgeon to discuss your findings.

New lumps should always be evaluated, beginning with a history and physical with possible radiologic (mammographic, ultrasongraphic or MRI). Lastly, needle aspiration or biopsy may be in order.

In regards to your arm, there are nerves that travel from your ribs down the inside of your arm (called intercostal brachiocutaneous nerves) that can be irritated by the implant when it slides to the outside of your breast. Using bras that support the implant/breast may minimize these symptoms. I hope this helps!

Otto Joseph Placik, MD
Chicago Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 86 reviews

There are many possibilities

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}


There may be several explanations for your symptoms, ranging from simple to complex and concerning. You should see your internist or gynecologist first to see if you need a mammogram or electrocardiogram (EKG). Based on what these physicians find, they would refer you on possibly to a plastic surgeon for evaluation of your implants. Good luck!

You need further evaluation

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The lumps you are feeling may be related to the implant. You may have folding in the implant shell or a problem with scar tissue around the implant. However, there is a chance that the lumps may be in the breast itself. It is important for you to be checked out by a physician to make sure the lumps are related to the implant and are not breast lumps that could represent a much more serious problem.

John Squires, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 82 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.