Can Botox be used to relax the muscle in my cheek which causes the crease shown on my cheek on the left side of the pic? (photo)

I am not interested in filler. I've had filler since this photo was taken and have been told that filler can often make this crease even more apparent. If botox can be used, what muscle is injected and how many cc's would you recommend? I know my doc should know this, but I also don't want my smile to be affected.

Filler/Botox for crease

Hi:  Solution is not Botox or filler in the area.  Reason for appearance of the lines is due to loss of midface volume. Approach it with filler into the mid face region and not into the lines is the solution. 

Filler/Botox for crease

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

For the lines you are referring to, Botox would not be considered an option, as it will affect your smile.

Botox generally should not be used in the cheeks, and should only be used around the mouth at all in small doses by a highly experienced, board-certified injector. For the lines you are referring to, Botox would not be considered an option, as it will affect your smile. Although you don’t want to hear this, fillers are generally considered best for this area. I recommend visiting a board-certified dermatologist for a consultation to find a treatment plan that will help.

Karen Beasley, MD
Baltimore Dermatologic Surgeon

Karen Beasley, MD
Baltimore Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox Bad Idea

If you were to attempt to treat those lines with Botox you would end up looking like a stroke victim so that would be a bad idea.  Those dynamic lines can be a challenge.  A combination of topical retinoids, fillers, and fractionated resurfacing can help.

Botox Bad Idea

Botox is not for smile lines

These creases cannot be removed with Botox since it would affect your smile.  Sculptra or strategically placed filler would help minimize the creases.  A skin tightening procedure such as Thermage would also help.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Botox is not for smile lines

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Lines on Cheeks -- Are normal aging and loss of volume

This is not a botox solution but can be improved with fillers if placed correctly/strategically.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Botox is not for smile lines

Although botox can and has been used in muscles throughout the face, using botox to treat smile lines will create a lateral or non-elevated smile and may create drooping of the corner of the mouth.  Often this is seen as a side effect of someone treating the crows feet in the wrong place or with too much product.  Consider a superficial filler such as belotero or a collagen building filler such as sculptra to improve these lines.  Make sure to seek out an expert injector for consultation; it will significantly impact your end results.

Kyle Coleman, MD
New Orleans Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox is not for smile lines

Kyle Coleman, MD
New Orleans Dermatologic Surgeon

Do not use Botox for cheek smile lines!

Thank you for your question and photograph.  Botox is not to be used in the cheeks for smile lines. It will give you a blunted, asymmetric smile that you will hate for 3-4 months. You have a pretty smile and those creases are normal.  Subtle use of fillers works best to make them less noticeable; otherwise, leave them alone. If you find someone who is willing to put Botox in those muscles, run away!

Do not use Botox for cheek smile lines!

Can Botox be used to relax the muscle in my cheek which causes the crease shown on my cheek on the left side of the pic?

Botox is not intended for those lines. Please consult with a facial plastic specialist in your area for your treatment options.

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, used against any physician or as medical witness expert advice or court, but only opinion. This answer is for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

Hope this helps,
Dr. Gus Diaz

Gustavo A. Diaz, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hope this helps,
Dr. Gus Diaz

Gustavo A. Diaz, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Can Botoxbe used to relax the muscle in my cheek which causes the crease shown on my cheek on the left side of the pic?

Thank you for your question. It would ne wise to visit an experienced injector and have a discussion regarding options for your concern. There should be a way to at lwast diminish the appearance. 

Smile lines around the mouth and what to do about them #plasticsurgery

I find these lines very attractive in women - but if you dislikes them, the only way to address them is to thicken this portion of your medial cheek with a subcutaneous filler like Sculptra that can be used over broad surface areas. Frankly, I have not had much success with this application for fillers, and so I avoid treating them. Botox is NOT the treatment for these dynamic smile lines.