Lift or no lift? (Photo)

I have an appointment with my dr. On the 6th of September, but wanted a few opinions first. I don't want "fake" looking breasts, so I don't need/ want them up to my collarbone (bit of an exaggeration there). Breast fed three babies for almost 2 years each, I need a breast "re-fill" could I get away with no lift?? 5ft 6' 135lbs I am a personal trainer/ group instructor. Can I still have the implant under the muscle??

Tasteful Breast Augmentation

Hello,For the vast majority of persons asking that question on this forum the answer is a resounding yes, although you are not so clear cut.  However, I do have a hunch that you probably would benefit from a lift.  Placement of an appropriate size implant and a lift would heal exceptionally and give you a shape and nipple position that would be optimal.Go visit a few ABPS certified/ASAPS member surgeons that specialize in all aspects of breast surgery, not just implants.Best of luck! 

Lift or no lift with breast implants.

I think you fall into a "gray" zone where you have the option of simply placing breast implants or the option of a Benelli lift to raise your nipple position.  Some patients have a strong preference toward avoiding an incision around their areolae and others prefer to avoid a surgical result that leaves their nipples low on their breast.  I will sometimes make the decision whether to lift or not to the time of the surgery when I can actually see how much the implant does the job of  lifting the nipple position.  Discuss your options with your ABPS Bd Certified plastic surgeon so you can make an informed decision based on your preferences.  Please enjoy the video link above for more information that you'll find helpful. Good luck and best wishes. Jon A Perlman MD FACS  Certified, American Board of Plastic Surgery  Extreme Makeover Surgeon ABC TV Best of Los Angeles Award 2015, 2016  Beverly Hills, Ca 

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Excellent question!

Two issues after having children; size/fullness and shape.  Breast implants are used to increase the fullness and size of the breasts.  Lifts are necessary to improve the shape.  After pregnancy implants placed without a lift will cause stretching of the breast skin after implantation. The skin stretches during pregnancy as the breasts become larger. Best result will be with a smaller implant and some sort of small lift (need to examine breast for type of lift).  It is preferable for your implant to be placed under the muscle edge.Good luck and enjoy the process.

George Orloff, MD, FACS
Burbank Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation and lift question

Hello and thank you for the question and the photo. Based on the images, you would do well with implants alone. The front view shows a forward directed nipple position. the lateral view shows the nipple above the crease. In these cases, most of the time, the implant alone will help you with size and shape without the immediate need for a lift. You can always opt for the lift in the future if you feel the breast shape still sags more than you want. You should have several consultations with board certified plastic surgeons in your area before making any final decisions. As always, it's best to be healthy, no smoking, and make sure any health conditions you have are managed by your primary care doctor. Best to you. 

Bennett Yang, MD
Rockville Plastic Surgeon

Can I get away with no lift and can the implants be placed beneath the muscle (I'm a personal trainer)?

Thank you for your question, it is a very common one in women considering breast augmentation after having children. Unfortunately it is not possible to provide a fully informed answer to your question without an actual breast examination. However, based on the photos, it appears that the right nipple is located just above the inframammary fold and the left nipple is slightly lower than the right nipple to a mild degree. With those findings you may well be able to avoid a breast lift at this point in time. You certainly can and should have the implants placed in the dual plane submuscular pocket even though you are a personal trainer. This reduces the risk of  capsular contracture, visible rippling, creates a more natural appearance, etc. Seek a Plastic Surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery who commits a large part of the practice to aesthetic breast surgery. Best of Luck!

Do I need a lift?

Thank you for your question.  Based on the photos and depending on what size implant you ultimately select, you will likely get a better result with a lift.  A lift is not designed to raise your breasts up to your collar bone.  A lift is almost a misnomer.  It is designed to simply tighten the skin around the breast and the implant to give the breast an overall better shape.  Because you have a little bit of sag and excess skin, a lift will likely give you the most natural shape and youthful appearance.  Best wishes.

Brian C. Reuben, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Lift or no lift

looking at where your breast are now, if you go under the muscle without a lift there will be minimal implant beneath the muscle. The reason for  that is in the case of an implant alone, the surgeon needs to use the nipple as the new center of the breast mound. In your case that would leave very little implant beneath the muscle.

Julio Garcia, MD

Lift or no lift?

Thank you for your pictures and questions. I think that based on your pictures, and depending on your expectations and goals, you could possibly have a good result with implants alone. This would also depend on what implant you are choosing and other factors. You would need an exam with a board certified plastic surgeon to determine this and go over the benefits of each option. In addition, in regards to placement, I often find that active people such as yourself benefit from a split-muscle technique. This offers some of the benefit of the sub-muscular placement while also avoiding some of the problems such as animation deformity from the muscle. Best to discuss this option with someone familiar with this technique.Good luck!