How safe is liposuction and does diabetes add to an risks?

I just found out last year that i am diabetic. so far it is diet and pill controlled.. no insulin. I am 5ft 6 and about 260 lbs, I am working on getting weight off but i have 'pockets' that i know will take forever if they come off at all.. especially lower belly roll from kid and 2 c sections. guess my question is.. Is lipo a feasable option to help get rid of the fat faster.. and what, if any, complications does the diabetes add to the procedure?

How safe is liposuction with diabetes.

Liposuction is a very safe procedure, however diabetes does indeed increase the risk of infection or healing problems. Good coordination with your medical doctor or medical clearance will improve the safety. Be aware that liposuction is very poor at controlling weight, and is unlikely to speed up your weight loss effort.

Safety of liposuction in a patient with diabetes

Thank you for the question. Liposuction can be performed safely on a diabetic patient who is well controlled. Most surgeons however, will want your BMI at 30 or below to reduce your risks of post operative complications. Best wishes.

How safe is liposuction and does diabetes add to risks?

Al though, liposuction can be a very safe procedure, obesity and diabetes, which is under poor control, can add significantly to the risks associated with the procedure.  I would probably suggest you try to get your weight under better control through diet and exercise, first.  If you can get your BMI below 30 (you are presently at a BMI of 42), you would be a better candidate for a liposuction surgery.  Best wishes, Dr. Lepore.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction Risks

Thank you for your question. Fortunately, significant complications from liposuction surgery are infrequent. Liposuction surgery is one of the two most common procedures performed by plastic surgeons. Most often this surgery is performed without experiencing any major problem. The subject of risks and potential complications of surgery is best discussed on a personal basis with you when you visit us during your consultation and your preoperative appointment. The risks in most surgeries are similar. Some of the potential complications that may be discussed with you include hematoma (an accumulation of blood under the skin that may require removal), infection, changes in sensation, scarring, allergic reactions, damage to underlying structures, need for revisions, unsatisfactory results possibly necessitating additional procedures and medical risks. Other risks more specific to liposuction may include indentations and irregularities. You can help minimize certain risks by following the advice and instructions we provide, both before and after your liposuction surgery. Best of luck!Dhaval M. Patel Double board certified Plastic surgeonHoffman Estates BarringtonOakbrook Chicago

Dhaval M. Patel, MD
Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction safety

Liposuction is an extremely safe procedure but diabetes will affect your healing/recovery rate. Make sure to discuss with your surgeon. Also, it's a good idea to be at a maintainable weight before any type of body contouring procedure in order to achieve the best results. Hope this helps, Dr. Nazarian

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

I just found out last year that i am diabetic. so far it is diet and pill controlled.. no insulin. I am 5ft 6 and about 260 lbs,

In a patient with controlled diabetes the liposuction is a safe procedure like in a healthy patient.The diabetes increase the risk of infection or healing problems. Liposuction is not for controlling weight ,it is to contouring the body. BMI under 30 reduce the risk and postsurgical complications. A good presurgical evaluation with your endocrinologist or principal physician will be necessary. Look for a board certified plastic surgeon who will evaluate and explain the adequate procedure to your needs . . All the best!! Dr.Brenda Pache .

Brenda Pache, MD

Diabetes weight loss and liposuction

It is very important to stress the value of weight loss in a diabetic person.  In medicine, we have few silver bullets or cures.  Weight loss is the closest thing to a cure for a patient with diabetes.  Excess weight makes our body resistant to insulin.  As we lose weight, our body responds much better to insulin having a better control of sugar levels.  It is not uncommon for patients with multiple medications for diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol to come off all the medications after significant weight loss.    

Currently you are at a BMI of 41.9.  The best option to add years to your life, minimize long term complications from diabetes is reduce your body weight.  You can explore the options of supervised medical weight loss or surgical therapies and decide which works best for you.  After losing significant weight, you can reconsider plastic surgery for removal of excess skin and possible liposuction.    Generally BMI 30 or less is the optimal goal.

Michael M. Omidi, MD, FACS

Liposuction is extremely safe even in patients with diabetes.

Provided you are in good health otherwise in the diabetes is under control liposuction should be very safe for you. It is true that complications, particularly infection, are more common in diabetics but the infection rate is so low with liposuction any percentage increase would be almost negligible.

Lipo is probably not the answer

Obviously without seeing you I can not make a totally informed opinion. But, lipo is good for localized fat and really doesn't take significant weight off.  5 lbs +/- .  And for whatever reason I find that diabetic patients have fat that is more stubborn when attempting liposuction. Jane