My Dr. filled my breast to 425cc my goal was a very full C or D. How big will I be?

I just got a BA and went in a 34B I am 5'4 and weigh 130lbs. My Dr. Filled my breast to 425cc my goal was a very full C or D. What will 425cc bring me too?

The right size for you

It is very difficult to determine the best implant you will need (recommended based on your photos) or the exact size and shape implant you will require to best match your ideal breast image without an examination by a board certified plastic surgeon. Not just any board certified plastic surgeon, but one with many years of frequently performing breast augmentation surgery including different approaches, techniques and implant choices. This is because several measurements not to mention your breast characteristics are needed to determine the optimal implant size to obtain your goals. Without knowing these dimensions it would be difficult to make this determination. For example, the existing base width of your breast will determine, in many cases, the maximal volume per implant profile that you can accommodate. To illustrate; a 100 cc difference may make a significant difference with a narrow base width breast, but much less of a difference if you have a wide chest wall and wide breast “foot print”. Therefore, just because your friend may have a great result with let’s say a 300 cc implant to make her go from a “A” cup to a “C” cup size does not mean that you will have the same result with the same size implant. The same process goes for just filling in the upper part of your breast without becoming much larger. Further simply placing implants in a bra to determine the size best for you is not always accurate as the bra often distorts the size, is dependent on the pressure the bra places plus the implant is outside your breast and not under it among other variables. Computer software morphing programs that automatically determine the best implant size can be helpful in some but not all cases (e.g. doesn’t work well in my experience with existing implants, sagging or asymmetric breasts). Using “want to be” photos however are useful if simply provided to the surgeon as I will further explain in the link below including silicone vs saline implants:

How big will I be?

Every time a patient asks this question after breast augmentation, I want to answer "You are exactly the size you are now--minus a bit of swelling, plus a bit of skin and muscle stretch." Whatever bras you eventually buy to put those new breasts into are YOUR choice. The letter on the bra label is immaterial to the size you ARE--bra manufacturers do not have "standardized" sizes, nor do all C-cup bras from different manufacturers match in size and fit exactly the same--but you already know that if you bought bras before your surgery. Especially if you bought your bras at Victoria's Secret, right?

The point here is that you had 425cc implants placed in a petite body with some breast tissue already present. I believe it takes 200-250cc to add about a bra cup size, so 425cc adds around 2 cup sizes (give or take a bit) to most women's original equipment. If you were a B before, then you should be a very full C or D. Unless you buy your bras at Victoria's Secret, where you may be better fit in a DD. But remember, those are simply letters on a label. If you like your new look, buy bras that fit and look cute . . . and then forget what letters are on the label--they don't matter! And buy bras elsewhere with different letters that fit nice and look cute.

Your size is your new size, and it sounds just perfect! Bras C to DD ahoy! Cheers! Dr. Tholen

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for sharing your question.  Because bra manufacturers do not use a standard sizing technique your final results will likely vary based on which brand you try on. Though speaking in bra sizes is convenient to try and standardize womens' breast size it is best to fit the bra to your breasts rather than hazard a guess as to what cup size a particular cc size will achieve.  I hope this helps.

Bra Size

There is not a good correlation between implant size and bra size.  Bra size is determined by many factors including manufacture's design, body shape and size, personal preference,  and original breast size and shape and width.  A month or so after augmentation you should be close enough to your final shape to go shopping for a bra.  Really you should not pay attention to your bra size but determine whether you like your BREAST size as that is what counts.  Generally plastic surgeons try not to predict what bra size you will wear.

What size implants?

This is a common question asked not only in forums, but also in the offices of cosmetic plastic surgeons. It seems to be a source of some angst for most women as they have tremendous concern for what the final outcome might be. I find that several things over the last 25 years have helped patients decide which type, shape, and projection ratios will best suit their needs. I think it's helpful if the patient brings in several photographs of what the goal look of her breasts might be. Also, if she can bring some photographs of what she doesn't want this will eliminate trying to express in words what “natural”, “high cleavage”, “low cleavage”, “fake”, and “stripper” may mean to her. I have likewise found the Vectra 3-D imaging platform to be the single most helpful tool in trying to visualize what the outcome might be with different sizes of implants. The Mentor shell sizing system, in which a shell of implant material is placed over the breast and in a padless bra, can likewise be helpful in that it can, not only show the size in a bra, but can give the patient some idea as to what the weight of the implant might be.In my opinion, the implants will look best when the base width of the implant is at, or just slightly less, than a natural base width of her breast. Considerations of chest wall abnormalities, location of breast creases, shapes of the breast, amount of overlying breast tissue, stretch ability of the skin and breast over the implant among other things also play a role in trying to best decide which implant will look best. It can also be helpful if the plastic surgeon, during their consultation, can provide some insight into what the likely outcome would be with different sized implants given their experience in breast implant surgery over many years. We ask our patients to bring different types of clothing such as evening gowns and bathing suits as well as a tight shirt to evaluate what the implant might look like under these type of clothing options. It is also possible to make a home made breast size or using grain rice. Approximately 1 ounce of rice equals 30 mL of breast implants volume. The rice can be placed into a pantyhose leg and enough volume left in the pantyhose such that the rice can be flattened out. You can then tie off the pantyhose and cut off the excess. This flattened rice volume pantyhose can be added on top of the breast inside of a padless bra and can give a rough approximation of what the corresponding implant might look like. Besides the size, most plastic surgical consultations for breast augmentation will also deal with the shape of implants, whether round or anatomically shaped. Here I think the Vectra really shines in that you can place two images next to each other, one with the shaped implant and one with a round implant such that the potential breast implant patient can really see what the difference would look like on them. All things considered, this can be a fun process and the vast majority of patients in my practice are quite happy with their end result. Hope your surgery goes well and good luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Very full C or D. How big will I be

Unfortunately, there is no agreement in the brassiere industry or in the medical world as to exactly what a cup size is. We all have ideas but they do not always match. It is also dependent a bit on one's anatomy. In other words a D cup on a very small woman tends to be smaller than a D cup on a very wide taller woman. In general, and implant in the high 300s to low 400 mL range would be expected to increase one's cup size with most bras by about 1 1/2 to 2 cups.