What is the best treatment for my under eye bag? (photos)

I have slowly seen an eye bag develop over the years only under my right eye. Now I get a large bag all throughout the day 80% of the time. The odd thing is that if I touch it or consentrate on it, it goes away. But comes back soon after. Why do I get a bag only under one eye? And how come it can come and go and is not 100% there all the time? I am 28 years old and absolutely hate it. Please help!

Filler

I WOULD TRY FILLERS BEFORE GOING IN AND DOING SURGERY , THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN FAT TRANSFER AND FILLERS ARE FILLER ARE LESS INVASIVE AND CAN LAST 6-9 MONTHS SOMETIMES UP TO A YEAR DEPENDING ON WHICH ONES. FAT TRANSFERS ARE USUALLY SURGICALLY DONE WITH LIPO AND TRANSFERRED TO ANOTHER AREA OF THE BODY. A FAT TRANSFER CAN ALSO BE DONE THROUGH A LOCAL AFTER SURGERY FOR A REPEAT FAT INJECTION. FAT INJECTIONS OR TRANSFERS ARE USUALLY MORE PERMANENT. THIS IS SOMETHING THAT YOU MAY WANT TO SPEAK TO YOUR DOCTOR ABOUT IN A CONSULTATION AND SEE WHAT YOUR OPTIONS ARE.

Lower lid eye bulge

Thank you for asking about your lower lids.
  • This is almost certainly excess fat in the lower lid -
  • Since you are young, it may have been there to a small degree in the past, but just being bothersome now.
  • This can be removed with a small operation called a transconjunctival blepharoplasty.
  • Depending on the exam, a little excess skin may also need to be removed.
  • It is probably only on one side because of inheritance.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

What is the best treatment for my under eye bag?

The problem is fat that has herniated and pushing the skin forward. It is common for this to be asymetrical. Your best option is a transconjunctival blepharoplasty on both sides with fat grafing below the eyelid. Do not even think about non surgical options such as laser etc. Please read below:

What to do to get rid of the bags

Thank you for sharing your question. It appears from the photo that your require lower blepharoplasty to remove your bags. This can be done with one of several methods by an experienced Oculoplastic Surgeon. It is most important that your doctor perform conservative surgery in order to avoid serious complications. Have a doctor evaluate you in person, because your eyelids might look different from the photos; there could be a chance that fillers might be an option.
Good luck,

Dark Circles, Eyelid Wrinkles/Bags Treatment -- Restylane or Belotero with Cannulas, Clear+Brilliant, Eclipse Micropen, Viva

The eyes are best treated with a combination approach of fillers, lasers, microneedling/PRP for improvement. Ultherapy/thermage, venus legacy all do well for swelling or puffiness. I would suggest consulting an expert. Best, Dr. Emer.

Lower blepharoplasty is your best long term option

Given how your eye looks in the photo, I recommend transconjuctival lower blepharoplasty with fat repositioning with or without skin pinch removal. That would give a long lasting result, which would be natural too. See video and link below.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Edema versus fat

You need to be seen in person to evaluate if you have only swelling in that area or it is a typical fat seen in the lower eyelids as we age.  If it is only fat then it can be removed to traditional blepharoplasty.

If it is edema then you will need to be worked up for many different illnesses that can cause these issues including thyroid problems.

Regards

Dr. J

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Infraorbital fat pad

Hello

You have a what I would call a severe infraorbital fat pad herniation. This is a completely normal variation of our anatomy. The bulge is held back by a ligament and this causes a line to appear under your eye.

I think the best option for someone your age would be to have a lower lid blepharoplasty. This will give you the best result and last the longest. You can then supplement with other treatments in the future if you have a problem again.

A non-surgical option is available but the technique is quite new. It involves fat dissolving injections into that fat pad to reduce or eliminate the appearance of it. You may then need some dermal filler to smooth it out completely.

Hope that helps bring some clarity

Good luck