I had a beautiful smile at 20 years old, I do not have that smile any more. What happened? (Photos)

I had a beautiful smile. When I was in my late 20s early 30s I had to have all of my teeth cut out due to a massive infection in my teeth. i have a full set of dentures but my smile has not been the same since. I am ashamed to smile and do not smile much now. I do not know what happened in the process to cause this but I would love to know what I can do to correct the problem so I have a beautiful smile that I can show off and be proud to smile at everyone. Please help! Thanks!

Dentures CAN look fantastic

One challenge with dentures is the "premaxilla" (front part of the upper jaw).  This bone often shrinks and gives a more collapsed look to a smile.  Something to consider is a Deutsch Removable Bridge, where the esthetics can be worked out, and implants can be used to support the bridge AND prevent the bone from further shrinking.  The investment can deliver both esthetics AND function, just as things used to be years ago.

Changing smile

I'm sorry for the looks of your natural smile. Restoring you to your original beauty with a denture will be very challenging. I suggest you consider visiting a board certified prosthodontist who has a lot of experience doing dentures. Ask to see pictures. Possibly have more than one consultation. This will not be inexpensive but I do believe there is room for improvement. Good luck. 

New denture.smile. custom dentures

Dear shys_m0m1999:

You're smile is still beautiful, but needs a little help.  

It  appears that your dentures are actually not tall enough for your mouth,  and that is why your smile looks squat.

This is a problem that can be readily corrected by a dentist, or a prosthodontist (the specialist in this area) who is ready to look at your old picture and set new teeth for a new Denture according to your old, very attractive smile. The teeth can be set individually,  based on your smile and speech.

Ask  your current dentist if you he knows how to do this. if not, look up prosthodontist in your area who is willing to sit down with you and make a custom denture to your smile.

Looking for your youthful smile again ... #DrSarahThompson

I'm sorry to hear that you've been going through this, but it looks like much better cosmetic pair of dentures may be the answer.  This would do wonders for your smile and your self esteem.  I had a patient very similar to you that looks great now.  I'll attach a link to a before and after patient that was just like you.  I hope this helps and click save under my name to ask me more questions in the future.