Risks of a Tummy tuck, lipo and muscle tightening?

I'm going to have a tummy tuck but am very scared of the risks. I am a healthy female my height is 5 ft 5 and I weigh 10st 7lbs I don't smoke but do drink sometimes. Should I be feeling as scared as I do? I need a tummy as I dislike my current body shape after my three pregnancies.

Tummy tuck

It is very normal to be nervous- An exam and consultation with a plastic surgeon is recommended to discuss your options and expectations as well as alleviate your fears.

Tummy Tuck Risks

Congratulations on making the decision to improve how you look! A tummy tuck can be a transformative operation. Of course there are risks involved, but most are minor. Make sure you have your surgeon go over all the good and bad things that can happen before your surgery. Good luck!

Jeffrey Gusenoff, MD
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck

Thank you for your question.It is important when undergoing elective cosmetic surgery, to chose a plastic surgeon that is board certified to reduce the chances of complications. Even if the surgeon is extremely skilled, there are still risks associated with this procedure such as infection, skin contour irregularities, major wound separation, fat necrosis, scarring, asymmetry, seroma, persistent swelling and pain and an unsatisfactory result etc I would discuss the risks and your concerns with your surgeon prior to your surgery date so you feel more aware and comfortable by the time you have your surgery. Best of luck.
Sincerely, James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

You should have all medical issues optimized and your BMI within reasonable range before proceeding with surgery.
Kenneth Hughes, MDLos Angeles, CA

Tummy tuck with liposuction risks

Abdominoplasty treats the skin excess and muscle weakness of the abdomen, as well as any fat that is between the belly button and the pubic hairline. Liposuction treats only fat. It can be used to thin out the abdomen, but the skin must be in good condition with no excess, and there should not be muscle weakness. I do not like to combine abdominoplasty with liposuction because of the added risks of fluid collection under the skin, VTE and wound healing problems. Aggressive liposuction with tummy tuck is dangerous.  A full tummy tuck with liposuction at the same time will certainly put you at a high risk for fluid under the tummy tuck skin (seroma). A full tummy tuck with aggressive liposuction at the same time will also certainly put you at an unacceptably high risk for a potentially fatal pulmonary embolism (PE), venous thromboembolic event (VTE). The literature is complete with this information. The science is the science. This is a risky combination. The incidence of seroma formation is about 16.0 percent in the abdominoplasty-alone group and 31.2 percent in the abdominoplasty with liposuction group. The combination of abdominoplasty and liposuction procedures can still overwhelm the body's ability to resist these shear forces by the fact that more surface area is available to “shear” and thus produce seroma fluid. Not so much as an additive effect but synergistically, such that the seroma fluid from the flanks flows into the adjacent abdominal space and resists the ability of the upper abdominal flap to close over the abdominal wall. Patients must be counseled about their risk for seroma formation and treatments aimed at resolving them including frequent postoperative visits for needle drainage and the rare case requiring operative drainage in the face of a persistent seroma.

Multiple procedures, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us. For safety reasons, to be a good candidate for the procedures you want at the same time, your labs and cardiovascular preoperative evaluation must be optimal. Therefore, you must be a healthy person, within an appropriate BMI and no history of diseases that increase the surgical / anesthetic risk degree. Finally, I recommend you a skilled certified plastic surgeon in body contouring surgery and experienced in cases like yours where the planned operating time is less than five hours. Respectfully, Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Risks of Surgery

Hi there and thanks for posting,Any surgery has potential risks and complications. It is important that you are aware of all of these and you discuss them with your surgeon.To put things in perspective a Tummy Tuck is a very common procedure and if carried out by a qualified plastic surgeon in an appropriate facility, in a healthy patient, the risk of any serious complication is extremely low.It would be worth making a consultation with a plastic surgeon to discuss your surgery furtherBest wishes