Can I influence rhinoplasty results? (pressure, strapping...)

I had a rhinoplasty and I don't really like the result (my nostrils go too much downwards, and my nose tip isn't enough protruding) Can I influence the evolution of my final result, and how? Doctors usually tell us not to touch the nose after rhino, but what if I want to touch to "save" the result and influence my nose evolution? For exemple if I press the nostrils to make them more upward? How many days until the nose is completely established? Please, tell me. Thank you for your kindness.

Touching the nose to change its shape

It is not possible to change the shape of the nose especially the tip during the healing phase of a rhinoplasty.It is best to leave it alone for 1 year and then revisit the whole situation and discussed with your doctor for possible revision rhinoplasty.

Dr. J

Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty results

No, you can not influence your rhinoplasty results.  You need to let it heal naturally on its own....

Maximizing your result after rhinoplasty

I would strongly encourage you to come up with a plan with your surgeon. You should not try change your result on your own.

Hoping you end up with the result you want.

Benjamin C. Paul, MD

It's not advisable to do anything to your nose without your surgeon's knowledge or consent.  It's best to speak with them directly about your dissatisfaction.  Best wishes.

A. Joshua Zimm, MD

Thank you for your question, Hannalili. The short answer is, no you cannot influence the results of your Rhinoplasty through home remedies. The best influence you can have on your Rhinoplasty is a diligent and careful adherence to your surgeon's recovery guidelines. Exercise, smoking/drinking, and a lack of rest can work to jeopardize your results. I am curious as to how long ago you received a Rhinoplasty.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Altering the shape of your nose after rhinoplasty

It is always a bad idea to try and change the shape of a healing nose after rhinoplasty, as certain supporting structures are there for a reason.  I would relay your concerns to your surgeon, and he or she can develop a plan and a timeline of events to expect certain results.  Remember, your nose will continue to change shape over the course of the year following surgery.

Can I influence my results?

I would caution against that - you have a better chance of success if you discuss your concerns with your surgeon, who can then offer appropriate guidance. 

Patients Influencing Rhinoplasty Results

Following rhinoplasty, the nose is pretty delicate.  If you aren't happy with the results, bring it to the attention of your surgeon.  You should not try to alter the results yourself.  

Not a good plan to externally influence your surgeon's nasal work

Rhinoplasty surgeons change the external appearance by structurally altering the underlying bone and cartilage.  Each surgeon uses his preferred technique of cartilage sutures, cartilage support grafts, and bone osteotomies to yield the desired external changes.  Most surgeons place passive support splints and tapes to add further protection of the underlying nasal work.  Hence, your application of external dynamic forces to alter the shape may destabilize the work of your surgeon and precipitate a poor outcome.  Furthermore, tapes and splints applied too tightly may impair the blood circulation to the skin and cause ulcers and scars.  Therefore, it is not recommended for you to attempt to change your result by independently manipulating or applying external devices.  Please remember, early swelling will obscure the true final result.  It is best to discuss your concerns with your surgeon.  Best of luck.

Chen Lee, MD
Montreal Plastic Surgeon