Why is my hair falling out?

I'm 18 year old healthy male when I run my fingers through my hair a little bit of hair come out each time and then my scalp hurts a little it rarely hurts when I run my fingers through it I have been taking hair pills to make my hair grow and they work is it because my hair is growing rapidly and it's not a lot of hair just at max 3-7 strands

Doctor Answers 3

Hair loss

normal hair shedding is between 150-200 strands a day. If you are concerned, then it is best to see a hair restoration surgeon who can do a consultation with you, examine your scalp and hair, and discuss in depth the nonsurgical options available to you, as well as track your progression. 

Chicago Physician

Hair loss in 18 year old

Your biggest enemy is the progressive thinning leading to a balding pattern that is not evident at this point in time. The degree of thinning that you are experiencing would suggest that you should see a doctor who most likely will get Bulk Measurements of your hair to determine the degree of the thinning that you are presently having. If the diagnosis is early genetic hair loss (the most common cause of hair loss in young men), then the best treatment would be the drug finasteride which is highly effective in men of your age and may not only stop the hair loss but possibly reverse it. If you are developing a more advanced balding pattern the HAIRCHECK test will determine the Bulk Measurements of your hair and put a number on that hair loss (a metric) and this will show, over a one-year time frame, how effective the treatment will be. Once you know this information, then you and your doctor need to develop a MASTER PLAN which will define what you need to do over the years to come.

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 27 reviews

Getting to the Bottom of It--Seeking Hair Loss Treatment: PRP and Progesterone

I suggest seeing an expert to evaluate the cause of your hair loss and consider the best treatment options. There are great non-invasive options like PRP/progesterone and/or hair transplantation. See an expert. Best, Dr. Emer

Jason Emer, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 190 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.