Will a modified Tummy Tuck be right for me? (photos)

I believe I'd benefit from an endoscopic abdominoplasty & umbilicoplasty w/revision to an 8" scar from my myomectomy & a 4 " csection scar 2" below creating a bulge. Smartlipo w/lasar skin tightening is a preference. I've done this procedure before & feel laser skin tightening will be enough to prevent skin laxity after recti placation repair. But to fix both scars skin from my lower abs will need to be removed as long as the new scar sits where my csection scar is w/same length.

Mini abdominoplasty for muscle repair and C-section scar revision

since you already have a scar that you want revised, a  mini-abdominoplasty is probably a better option than endoscopic. I would not expect much skin tightening from laser lipo or external laser treatments to abdominal skin after pregnancies, but a mini would not tighten the upper abdominal skin..

Endoscopic tummy tuck

Your question is a good one.  An endoscopic tummy tuck is useful for muscle contouring.  The only way to know if that is the right thing for you is with an examination. If you need a scar revision as well, then the endoscope may not add any advantage.  Again the best way to determine what is right for you is by seeing a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.  To see an endoscopic tummy tuck result, please see the web reference.

Mark P. Solomon, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Lateral tension abdominoplasty tummy tuck

Thank you for your question, it seems you have done your research and know quite a bit regarding the procedures you mentioned. While your treatment plan may sound reasonable, you may have a much better results with a latersl tension abdominoplasty tummy tuck. You would need to be evaluated prior to precise recommendations.

Kevin Tehrani, MD, FACS

Will a modified Tummy Tuck be right for me?

Sounds like a plan. But seek more in person opinions vs over the internet opinions from only boarded Plastic Surgeons... 

Choosing the most beneficial Tummy Tuck procedure...

Thanks for the photos and for the question.  However, because you do not have a photo of yourself leaning over (which would be very helpful in evaluating you), try this.  Lean over and look at how far lateral the folds in your excess lower abdominal skin are.  With a full tummy tuck, this is usually about how far lateral the scars would be. 

If you were to undergo the endoscopic procedure and limit your scar length, I would think that you will still have (noticeable) lateral fullness, that is, excess skin and fat.  Now this might be an acceptable trade off to you.... or it might not be.  Also, your pubic region is droopy.  This should be addressed and moved upward.

From your photos, I would recommend a full tummy tuck with liposuction of your back "muffin tops".  Your rectus diastasis would be repaired both in your upper and lower abdomen, your excess fatty tissue and skin from your lower abdomen would be removed, your pubic region would be moved upward and look more youthful, and your belly button would be repositioned, providing you with an overall slender body contour.

I, however, do not perform endoscopic procedures.  If re contouring your body with an endoscopic procedure is important to you, I encourage you to consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who is skilled in this procedure.  Ask to see Before & After Photos of patients that have a similar body type to you.  Also ask to see photos of a full tummy tuck with your body type as well.... and then decide what result you would prefer.

Wishing You the Best!

Modified tummy tuck

Hi Suziequzie.  Thank you for the photos. You should be commended on your research. Based on the photos, you do not appear to need  a diastasis repair.  Adding an endoscopic repair to your procedure will complicate your recovery and not provide you with the full benefit of a tummy tuck, nor will the addition of laser skin tightening.  While Smartlipo has proponents, it has never been shown  to achieve results which are better than conventional liposuction. The early reports on laser lipo (for skin tightening) is that it may be associated with increased subcutaneous scarring that can be difficult to correct.   All in all, you may be better served with a simpler procedure consisting of liposuction which will afford you skin tightening and a scar revision rather than the high tech combination  if you don't want a tummy tuck(with a long scar).  Keep in mind that the suggestion above is not a substitute for a complete in person evaluation.  Good Luck.  Beverly Friedlander, MD

Beverly Friedlander, MD
Short Hills Plastic Surgeon

What kind of tummy tuck is right

While everyone likes the sound of a mini tummy tuck or endoscopic, the only way to know for sure is to go in for a consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon with experience in body contouring procedures.  Most postpartum women are not candidates for either of these procerdures, but again, you never know until someone with experience examines you.  Just taking a quick look at your pictures, you would most likely benefit from a routine abdominoplasty.  It all depends on your expectations.

Elan B. Singer, MD