Will my breast size reduce over the coming weeks/months, right now they are cartoon-like.

I am 2 weeks post breast augmentation. My implants are Brazilian furry, round, over muscle as I had a lot of sagging after breast feeding 3 kids. I have a very slender frame and my implants are huge. They are cartoon-like. How much are they likely to reduce - do Brazilian implants "fluff" as I've read with other implants?

You are still early in the post-operative.  

The change is immediate.you  should expect the skin to soften and the implant to settle at about three months after surgery.

Thank you for your question.Despite good intentions, online consultants will not be able to provide you (in any responsible fashion) with specific enough advise to be truly helpful. Given your concerns, you'll be best off seeking follow-up with your plastic surgeon, earlier that already scheduled if necessary, for in person evaluation.

Best of Luck!!

Thank you for your question.   After placement of implants, the appearance of the breasts will change dramatically over the next several months, as the implants drop, and the overlying tissue stretches to accommodate the extra volume. Swelling from surgery is likely flattening your implants and holding them high on your chest.  As this swelling resolves the volume within the implant will redistribute towards the lower portion of your breast achieving a more natural appearance.   I know waiting is difficult, but judge your results at 4-6 months after surgery as most of your breast changes should have occurred by then. Hope this helps.

Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

I appreciate your question.

Right now, you are very early on in the post op recovery period. It will take 3-6 months for you to feel comfortable having implants in your body and for them to settle. This time allows for you to physically and psychologically adapt to your new body image. There are many variables that contribute to a breast augmentation's final result. Preop size and shape, IMF location, location of the implants and type of implant. Patients heal at different rates and each breast will sometimes heal at a different rate. Rest, relax, recover and heal. Express your concerns to your surgeon so he/she can examine you. Then reassess final result at 6 months.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Breast Augmentation - Post Op Swelling?

Thank you for your question. Congratulations on your recent surgery. You are still early in the post-operative period. It typically takes 3 - 6 months for the swelling to subside and and implants to settle into proper position. Please discuss your concerns with your board certified plastic surgeon. Also, make sure you follow all of your plastic surgeons post-operative instructions regarding level of physical activity and use of a support bra. Hope this helps and good luck with your recovery.

Breast augmentation

It is important to address any post-operative concerns with your plastic surgeon.  You are still very early on in your recovery. Swelling after a breast augmentation occurs with 100% of patients, eventually the swelling will go down and your breasts will drop into their pockets causing them to look a little smaller and more natural.  If the breasts are too high, the use of a breast binder is beneficial to add downward pressure. I would continue to wear your surgical bra as directed and perform your breast massages. Your doctor may also prescribe you a Medrol dose pack (steroid) to help with the swelling. I hope this helps.
Best of luck in your recovery!
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Mostly yes

Basically, all implants will settle with gravity in the early few months after surgery. Without a muscular pocket implants placed above the muscle will usually settle more than those placed below. With polyurethane coated implants, which I'm assuming you have secondary to your description of them being furry, there is a little more frictional resistance to downawrd movement compared to a smooth wall implant. The fluff term that we hear on the Internet, in my opinion, more represents the less stiffening of the overlying muscle as it becomes more compliant and showing the underlying round shape of the breast implant. Without the muscle at play in your situation, this does not apply. Give it some time and follow-up with your plastic surgeon. Congratulations on your surgery.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Yes

As your breast implants settle over time and the swelling reduces from the surgery, your apparent breast size will decrease.  This may take 3-6 months after your breast augmentation surgery.

Best Wishes,

Nana Mizuguchi, MD

Nana N. Mizuguchi, MD, FACS

I am sorry to hear about your concerns after breast augmentation surgery. Your plastic surgeon will always be your best resource when it comes to accurate assessment and/or advice.

Generally speaking, breast implants will "drop" into the pocket that was created during surgery. The rate of breast implant "settling" may depend on factors such as size of breast implant pocket dissected, tightness of the overlying skin/muscle layers, and size of breast implant utilized. Normally, it takes about 3-6 months (for some patients longer) to see the final result. It is very common for one side to settle faster than the other.

I routinely ask my patients to wait at least 3-6 months before evaluating the end results of the breast augmentation surgery. This waiting time allows patients to (usually) physically and psychologically adapt to the new body image. 

In other words, it is much too early to evaluate the outcome of the procedure performed; your breasts will undoubtedly change over the course of the next several weeks/months.   The vast majority of patients with your concerns at your stage in the recovery process, turn out to be much happier two to three months after the procedure was performed.  Understandably, patients often experience significant emotional "ups and downs" around the time of surgery.

Again, best to follow up with your plastic surgeon for more specific/relevant advice, predictions, and/or meaningful measure. 

Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

Will may size reduce?

Most swelling resolves over the first 3-6 weeks.  The implants will settle over the first 3-6 weeks as well, but may take as long as six months to settle.  Time will tell.  You should follow-up with your surgeon to discuss your concerns.  It sounds like you may have been a candidate for mastopexies (breast lifts) rather than massive implants.

Todd C. Case, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon