Will another PS see you if you had your surgery done by another doctor?

I had my surgery done in Miami but I live in Mississippi will another doctor see me here if I'm having problems
Click here to search for board certified surgeons in your area.

Thank you for your excellent question.  I would contact your surgeon's office as they may have an agreement with a local doctor that would be willing to see you for any issues during recovery.  If not, you would have to call upon local board certified plastic surgeons to see if they would be willing to see you for a fee.  Hope this helps. 

Problems with medical tourism

It will depend on why your surgeon is out of state.  Having surgery out of state is a set-up for problems of this nature. You need to see a plastic surgeon, but did not trust the surgeons that work diligently in your area to provide care to their patients. The surgeon that you did choose has no ability and probably no interest in taking care of their postoperative patients because they know you are not going to fly back to where they are to seek out care. So now what? Bring the problems of another surgeon to the local doctor who you did not allow to treat you and expect that they will take care of the postoperative complications? Or go back where you had your surgery and require that the surgeon that did the surgery take responsibility for their work?

San Antonio is a vacation / travel destination for many. We see patients from other practices frequently. The key is good communication between the operating surgeon and the new surgeon. 

Michael A. Baumholtz, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Have you operating surgeon make arrangements for your follow-up care before you get your operation.

It is not uncommon to hear about a local patient who seeks follow-up care for problems related to surgery already performed in the next state or in a more distant country.

Your operating surgeon might be able to arrange for your care in your hometown with a kind call to a sympathetic local doc.  Your post surgical care is an integral part of your plastic surgical result.

Choosing a doctor and a location for surgery requires the you address the issues of your after care before you undergo your procedure.

If you are having problems with your surgery, you always have the option to visit a hospital emergency room and be assigned to an on-call plastic surgeon for care & follow-up.

Best Regards,

Douglas J. Raskin, MD
Colorado Springs Plastic Surgeon

Not the ideal scenario but can be arranged if you live far away from the operating surgeon.  Be sure to plan ahead and maintain good communication between all parties and ensure that you have the proper assistance.  Good luck.

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Thank you for your question!  This issue is one of the pitfalls for travelling elsewhere for procedures.  Each surgeon will have his/her own preference on seeing patients.  The best way, if this is the case, is to make arrangements prior to your procedure for follow-up.  A discussion with your operating surgon to assist you in finding appropriate follow-up as well as consultation with that local surgeon should be warranted.  There is an obvious liability issue for the follow-up surgeon, especially for complications, let alone the time issue.  There will likely be a cost involved for further care/procedures.  At this point, given your stated complications currently, I would try calling your surgeon for advice as well as local surgeons for consultaion options.  Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Surgery by another surgeon?

The likely answer is yes..each surgeon has different policy for such case.  In general, a board certified plastic surgeon will always try to help a patient.  The problem is the liability of taking care of a patient who is having a problem from surgery done by another surgeon.  This issue makes it difficult.  My recommendation is to return to the surgeon who originally did the surgery to get the best outcome.  Hope this helps. Good luck.
Dr Vasisht  

Bhupesh Vasisht, MD
Voorhees Plastic Surgeon

Surgery by one plastic surgeon and recovery care by another

You have the unique experience (misfortune) of being left in a void.  Your operating surgeon is too far away for you to see for routine follow up or complications.  There are instances where another plastic surgeon may decide to take on your care.  There will be a charge associated with your care.  I would recommend visiting the American Board of Plastic Surgery website for board certified surgeons in your area.  Best wishes