My raised scars are mostly flat. Would Fraxel laser help smooth them out even more?

I have been receiving treatment for my raised scars on my face (a couple sessions of vbeam and a couple kenalog injections). My raised scars are mostly flat (they are still slightly raised though), but they are much flatter than before treatment. They also are still quite pink in color (but lighter than before treatment). Would you recommend fraxel laser to finish smoothing them out?

Fraxel for Scars

Acne scars are best treated with the Fraxel laser in type I and II patients.  It sounds like you got the correct treatment for the scars with the V-Beam laser for redness.  It will take several treatments of the Fraxel laser to modify the scars and produce new collagen.  Please consult a board certified dermatologist with a great deal of experience in Fraxel for the  best cosmetic results

To smoothing out raised scars - Fraxel or Infini should be used

I've been a longtime Fraxel advocate for improving scars but have converted to the Infini for this now. There is less risk for pigmentation issues and faster healing times. In general it is less expensive too. See video below. VBeam is good for early scars and redness associated with scars. 

Steven F. Weiner, MD

My raised scars are mostly flat. Would laser help smooth them out even more?

Probably.

The Lumenis Fractional CO2 Laser has a mode called Scaar Fx that can significantly improve the appearance of scars.  I do not believe that the Fraxel laser has a comparable mode.

The V-beam laser is another laser treatment than can significantly improve scars, but uses a different laser wavelength than the Lumenis Fractional CO2 Laser; moreover, optimal results can be sometimes be seen when both are used to treat the scar, a different times of course.

Other options could be a scar revision and/or silastic sheeting.

Timothy R. Miller, MD