Can straightening a nose after a fracture mess up how the rest of it looks? (photos)

I fractured my nose last month. It is now a bit crooked and bumpy. I had a consultation with a maxillofacial surgeon to straighten the nose again and remove or reduce the bump but I'm worried that it could end up looking worse. Since the crookedness is due to a recent fracture is it a (relatively) straight-forward process to set it back? How about removing the bump? I'm also worried about any surgery affecting the tip of my nose and making that look a-symmetrical or otherwise different.

Rhinoplasty to shave down the dorsal hump and straighten the nose after a nasal fracture

Rhinoplasty is one of the most difficult procedures to perform correctly in the entire field of cosmetic surgery,  so choose your surgeon based on extensive experience straightening asymmetric noses.  The dorsal hump is composed of both bone and cartilage which must be shaved down in order to remove it.  Osteotomies are performed to straighten the nasal bones.  Cartilaginous grafting techniques are performed when needed to make the nose look more symmetrical.  The tip of the nose may or may not need to be operated upon, depending upon whether it is symmetrical or not.    For more information and many examples, please see the link and the video below 

The injured nose

when nasal bones or fractured they can frequently be repositioned with a relatively minor procedure. They closed reduction of the nasal bones best done immediately following the injury or3 to 4 weeks after the initial injury.  Typically results are very very good should have minimal effect on the shape of the rest of the nose. If the nasal septum has also been fractured, Attention must be directed here to avoid deformity which made occur over a longer period of time. best regards. 

Sean R. Weiss, MD
New Orleans Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasal Fracture Recommendations

Immediate correction for resetting of the nasal bones after a fracture is best done with 21 to 30 days after injury. For these early fractures, a closed reduction with external stabilization using a nasal splint works best, but there may be swelling in the nasal tip and bridge after closed reduction. If however you also have suffered with an injury to your nasal septum or nasal cartilages or have waited longer than 30 days to have corrective surgery, I recommend then waiting 4-6 months more before planning surgery. In these cases, surgery may include septoplasty, rhinoplasty and cartilage grafts to restore your original nose. You could consider improving your appearance and taking down any traumatic nasal bump and/or improving your tip at that time. Hope this answer helps. 

Fred J. Bressler, MD, FACS
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon