Necrotic areola after gynecomastia operation. Is that areola is necrotic ?! (photos)

I had my operation 2 weeks ago and i have that areola which is showen in the pictures and i fear of is it necrotic .. I wear my comprissible jacket and i do dressing with betadine only every three days ?!

Necrotic areola after surgery for gynecomastia?

As others have said already, it is difficult to determine if your areola is necrotic from your photos.  However, in your intra-operative photos, your areola appears ok; and in your post-operative photos, it appears to be darker in color.  At this point in the recovery process, the treatment would be to carefully observe.  If you have concerns, I would definitely recommend that you discuss your concerns with your surgeon.  Good luck!

Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon

What to Expect Post Gynecomastia Surgery

Your #incisions will go through a maturation process following #Gynecomastia surgery . For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. 

Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff. 

Need a check

A recheck and time will tell.
Hard to say from the photos if it is bruising or necrosis.
An exam will help.

Treatment for necrotic areola after gynecomastia.

Thank you for your pictures and your question regarding gynecomastia surgery. In your pictures it appears that the areolas have become darker. This can be a sign of areolar necrosis. This is a known risk of gynecomastia surgery. It is essential that you call your plastic surgeon with your concerns.
Areolar necrosis is usually treated conservatively with creams. Once the necrosis demarcates, you may not need any further treatment. However if the areola necrosis is significant, you may need surgical revision. This may require areola reconstruction and or areolar tattooing.

Remember, it is very important that you follow up with your plastic surgeon now.

I hope this answers your questions regarding potentially necrotic areola after gynecomastia surgery. If you have any more questions regarding gynecomastia, please contact my office. Sincerely, Dr. Katzen.

Necrotic areola after gynecomastia

Your areola looks darker than in surgery. I recommend you follow up with your operating surgeon for an evaluation and appropriate treatment as necessary.

Dead or alive

As others have said it is difficult to tell from your pictures. The end of operation photographs appear to be OK but the picture is small so it is difficult to be sure.
If there is no evidence of infection then you need to give it time to settle. If they are necrotic at this stage there is nothing that could be done to save them and it would be a case of wait and see.
I would advise you to get them checked by your surgeon or a suitably qualified and experienced surgeon.

Jeremy S. Hurren, BSc, MBBS, FRCS (Plast)
Chichester Plastic Surgeon

Gynecomastia post op

You appear to have some crusting on your areola. Cannot tell from the picture if this is necrosis. You need to see your surgeon for evaluation.

It is not necrotic

On this photograph there is no evidence of necrosis. It is always a good idea to follow closely with your operating surgeon rather than internet strangers.  

Vasdev Rai, MD

Areola

Thank you for the question and the photos but it is hard to tell from the photos alone.  So see your surgeon or other expert in the area.Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD