How much time does it take for the hair to grow totally? Should I cut my hair or is it not necessary? (Photos)

Hi, it's been almost 9 months since my hair transplant surgery, I've seen some big changes but the hair on some areas is still a little thin! I need to know how much time does it take for the hair to grow totally and does wearing hats all the time can slow down or infect the growth! Plus i haven't cut my hair since the surgery so should i cut it so the hair can grow back thicker or just leave it until it grows naturally? Thank you.

It can take 6 to 12 months after surgery to see results. If you are concerned it is best to contact your doctor

It can take 6 to 12 months after surgery to see results.  If you are concerned it is best to contact your doctor.  Cutting your hair will not make a difference in how fast your hair grows.

Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

How much time for growth?

Full results of a transplant typically take up to a year.You cannot replace all the hair that has been lost in one or even 2 procedures but you will get a very nice change in appearance and increase in density.I don't know how many grafts you had but perhaps the areas you mentioned received less grafts.You also want to do something to protect your untransplanted hair from thinning,such as Minoxidil,Propecia,Low Level Laser light,PRP(Platelet Rich Plasma).Wearing hats will not have an effect on the growth and you don't need to cut your hair(unless you want to) to improve growth of the grafts-that will happen through normal hair cycling.

David Deutsch, MD
Beverly Hills Hair Restoration Surgeon

9 months post up

We generally judge a hair transplant about 12 months afterwards for full growth.  At nine months 80% is expected.  Cellular therapy such as PRP can be a good idea if you are not getting the growth you expect. 

Ryan Welter, MD
Boston Hair Restoration Surgeon

9 months post op

Due to the random cycle of hair growth, not all grafts will start growing at the same time. Initially, the hair my be thinner and finer. It will gain length and density as it matures. Full growth from the transplants is usually achieved at 12 months. In some cases, this can take up to 18 months. This is especially common in female patients. The transplanted hairs will continue to gain length over time.

Ilker Apaydin, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Hair growth at 9 months

At 9 months you still have some growth to be expected, maybe 10-15% more.  It is important to understand that when transplanting hair it is impossible to create native density.  Therefore many patient seek a second treatment.

Justin Misko, MD
Lincoln Hair Restoration Surgeon

9 mnths

At 9 months I would expect well more than 80% of the hair to have grown. Only you can make that assessment

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon