Is this gynecomastia or normal chest fat ? (photos)

Hello I'm 18 years old weight 75 kgs and my height is 174 cm.  I'm suffering from a problem which is over weight but this year I took a decision to cut the fat out, but when reading about fat in chest, I realised there are 2 types of chest fat, normal fat or gynecomastia, and I'd love if you could help me know which type I have. Please contact me for any further information you'd like to know sir and I'll be happy to answer you as soon as possible.

Doctor Answers 8

Is this gynecomastia or normal chest fat ? (photos)

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Based on the photos, you have gynecomastia. But, I would also recommend an in person consultation. Surgical excision and liposuction will be the best treatment for this condition.

Beverly Hills General Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 317 reviews

Is this gynecomastia?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Healthy male patients with excess breast tissue or unwanted breast development who have no underlying breast disease.Men who desire improved physical and aesthetic appearance should have realistic expectations based on their condition and the procedure performed. You should meet with a board certified plastic surgeon to be able to get a formal diagnosis and to be able to decide on a course of treatment if necessary.

Gynecomastia Concern at a Young Age

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

There are several common factors which contribute to gynecomastia. These include excessive levels of #estrogen, natural #hormone changes, use of recreational drugs or alcohol, medications and their associated side effects, and, various health conditions. Also, there are different types of #gynecomastia. 

Particularly, Normal Gynecomastia is usually apparent in males between the ages of 12 to 15 years old. It is also common for older men 65 years old or more who experience a drop in their testosterone levels. #Normal Gynecomastia takes approximately one to two years to naturally regress on its own.

Adolescent Gynecomastia is hereditary and usually appears in 30% to 60% of boys between the ages of nine to fourteen. Many cases of adolescent gynecomastia resolve on its own as the boy grows into adulthood. Some with #Adolescent may choose to undergo surgery to correct the situation, this usually happens at the age of 18 or above. In severe cases in young boys, the physician and child development specialists will need to speak to the parents regarding the severity of the gynecomastia and if surgery is an option before the age of 18. 

Jed H. Horowitz, MD, FACS
Orange County Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 116 reviews

Do I Have Gynecomastia Or Normal Chest Fat?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

What a great question.  As an aesthetic plastic surgeon, I am not sure the distinction is of much significance.  

True gynecomastia is usually a combination of some gland but also some chest wall fat.  Pseudo gynecomastia is always a majority of chest wall fat but usually some sub nipple gland tissue exists.  In my experience, the treatment of both true and psuedo gynecomastia are the same - liposuction of the chest wall and periareolar gland excision.  

Both true and pseudo gynecomastia are unattractive on a man's chest and usually create self-esteem issues.  The surgeon who only removes the gland will very likely create a dent in the middle of a man's chest, whereas the surgeon who liposuctions all of the fat but takes away no gland often leaves a protrusion under the nipple which can become true gynecomastia if the individual takes steroids, smokes marijuana or is required to take any of a number of prescription medicines.  

If you were my patient and you had gynecomastia of any type, I would recommend liposuction and sub nipple areolar gland resection.  

Is this gynecomastia or normal chest fat ?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for the question and picture. Accurate diagnosis would necessitate physical examination. It IS important to differentiate gynecomastia ( excess breast tissue) from lipomastia (otherwise known as pseudo-gynecomastia or excess adipose tissue of chest wall). Treatment will differ depending on diagnosis. 

Generally speaking, liposuction surgery alone is useful to treat lipomastia (an enlarged chest secondary to adipose tissue); rarely does it suffices as the only modality of treatment when it comes to treating true gynecomastia. Most patients with gynecomastia benefit from direct excision of glandular tissue plus/minus peripheral liposuction surgery.

My best suggestion: seek consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience achieving the types of outcomes you will be pleased with. 

You may find the attached link helpful to you as you learn more. Best wishes.

Looks like gynecomastia

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

This is gynecomastia and in order to repair it you need excision of the glandular tissue and liposuction combination

Mordcai Blau, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 89 reviews

Gynecomastia vs. Lipomastia

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thanks for the question.  A physical examination is necessary to determine whether excess male breast tissue is from fat or breast tissue.  I recommend seeking consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon.


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for your question.

Unfortunately, it is not possible to tell if it is just fat, or if there is actual breast tissue, based on pictures alone.  A physical exam will be necessary.  I recommend you consult with a local/regional plastic surgeon who will make that determination, and recommend at treatment plan to get you the result you desire.


Dr. Dan Krochmal

MAE Plastic Surgery

Northbrook, IL

Daniel Krochmal, MD
Chicago General Surgeon

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.