After a breast augmentation, how long until the numbness goes away?

I only got my surgery yesterday and I know it's really early but I was just wondering how long until the numbness wears off ? And is the squishy bubbly sound when I press around my boob normal ?

Breast augmentation - how long does numbness last

Thank you for asking about your breast augmentation.

• Numbness usually subsides over 6 - 8 weeks, as swelling subsides.
  • Air and fluid around an implant can make odd sounds for a few days - but you need to ask your surgeon to see if that is normal for you, given the operation you had done.
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes

Few weeks to up to a year

Most of my patients have a return to normal sensation during the first 6-8 weeks.  Very few will persist beyond 6 months.  Almost all will be normal in a year.
Best Wishes,
Nana Mizuguchi

Nana N. Mizuguchi, MD, FACS

Numbness after breast augmentation

Hard to say without having all the variables of your surgery.
Numbness can be caused by a few things doing breast augmentation. The good news is, it almost always goes away, with the passage of time. How quickly it goes away depends upon the cause.
Sometimes the numbness is a result of the sudden stretching of the tissues to accommodate a larger implant. The skin is supplied by thousands of microscopic nerve branches which give it sensation. When suddenly the tissues are stretched very tightly, these nerve branches can be "shocked or stunned" by the sudden stretch. If this is the cause, that numbness may go away within a few weeks, or perhaps a few months. This can affect the nipple as well, depending on the particular nerves being stretched. Much less commonly, the nipple may have partial or full numbness if the creation of the implant pocket transected the nerve responsible for the sensation. Regular early-stage I wouldn't worry about this at all, just keep in close contact with your surgeon. As far as the bubbly sound, some area gets trapped in the pocket at the time of augmentation, and this is what is making the squishing and sloshing. This air will absorb over the next few days to weeks depending upon the amount. Congratulations on your transformation!
Dr. Subbio
Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon
Newtown Square/Philadelphia, PA

Christian Subbio, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

At only one day post operative you are very early in the healing process. Patients can experience numbness or hypersensitivity after breast augmentation for serveral weeks to months. The "squishy bubbly" sound you describe should resolve within a week or so. 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Numbness post op

t would be best to speak with your plastic surgeon who is most familiar with your surgery and expected recovery. It is quite possible that this is a normal response to your surgery.
Tingling, burning or shooting pains, which will disappear with time and should not alarm you, indicate regeneration of the sensory nerves. If these sensations cause pain, repeated, local self-massage helps.

Breast Augmentation numbness

Generally the numbness will wear off between 6 and 8 weeks but every patient is different. The air should dissipate in a few days. You are still early in your recovery so your body needs time to heal. Contact your surgeon with any concerns. Best of luck.

you for the question. You are still in
the post operation recovery stage. It is
not uncommon to feel numbness, hypersensitivity, pain, itchiness, and slight
abnormalities during this period. It
usually takes about 2-3 months for the wounds to heal and around 4-6 months for
the implants to fully settle. It would always
be best to visit your board-certified plastic surgeon and get a full assessment
for your concerns. Best of luck. Dr.
Michael Omidi. An
in-person exam with a board-certified plastic surgeon is the best way to assess
your needs and provide true medical advice.

Michael M. Omidi, MD, FACS

Numbness after BBA

Thank you for your question. You are very early in the post op period. Numbness can be very temporary or can sometimes last up to a year. Only a small percentage will actually lose their sensation completely and that's only 1-2 percent. Sounds as if everything you're experiencing is normal, but please stay in close contact with your surgeon. Best of luck to you.   

Ed Breazeale, Jr., MD
Knoxville Plastic Surgeon

Numbness after BA

The numbness usually resolves over 3-6 weeks, but can take months.  Occasionally some areas of the breast may stay numb permanently.  The squishy sound is related to the air and fluid in the pocket where the implant sits.  This will resolve as the body absorbs the air and fluid and the implant no longer squishes around.

Todd C. Case, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon