Non healing belly button post tummy tuck. (photos)

Today is two weeks post op from my Lipo and tummy tuck. My incision is dried up with scar lumps but my belly button remains yet to heal over. No odor, scant amount of dark red drainage over a twenty four hour period. No pain. My surgeon is out of town and can't see me until Monday. I'm worried it's infected since I can offer it to heal!

#abdominoplasty #plasticsurgery #Tummytuck

Hello dpr85,  Congratulations on your recent surgery and thank you for sharing your question about your post operative recovery and results after your surgery.  Final results can take up to six months for all the swelling to subside.  At our office here at CARE we actually see all of our surgery patients the very next day after surgery and then again at two weeks and beyond. We enjoy staying closely connected to our patients and enjoy giving the extra attention and service.  Your concerns are important to discuss directly with your board certified plastic surgeon.  He or she will appreciate the open communication and will want to help you. I hope this is helpful and wish you all the very best.  Sincerely, Brian S. Coan, MD, FACS
CARE Plastic Surgery

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Belly buttons after tummy tuck can be slow to heal

It does not look infected.  Keep it clean and apply an ointment (I like simple A+D) to keep it moist.  Wound healing studies have shown moist wounds heal faster.  It looks like your surgeon did a good job.  You will look great.

Bellybutton

The bellybutton generally takes a bit longer to heal than the actual tummy tuck incision. Keep it clean and put a bit of ointment(Bacitracin or Aquaphor) on it until you can see your surgeon. If redness begins to spread, you run a fever or it starts to have an odor, call your surgeon's office as most surgeons have others take their calls when out of town.

Clayton L. Moliver, MD