Will my breasts push pretty close together in a push-up bra with 300ccs and my 14 bwd? (photo)

I hope my measurements in this photo help. Will 300ccs of round, silicone, moderate plus (medium profile) implants be able to give me that close-together or touching cleavage when I'm in a push-up bra? Or are my breasts wide-set? I just want to know what I should look forward to. : )

Will my breasts push pretty close together in a push-up bra with 300ccs and my 14 bwd?

You might have to go slightly larger than 300cc and make sure that the surgical pocket is not created too far out to the outer side (not too wide).

Thank you for your question and photograph.  From an aesthetic standpoint I think that a 300 mL implant may be smaller than ideal to provide good shape and contour for you.  My recommendation is that you review photographs of the desired result with your plastic surgeon and then allow him/her to make the optimal choice for you during surgery based upon your guidelines.  With the use of test implants or sizers, the actual appearance of your breasts and the fullness and contour can be visualized.  A push-up bra can exaggerate the cleavage with any sized implant but it is of equal or greater importance that your breasts have adequate fullness and nice contour and size without any support when you look in the mirror.  It is difficult to say without examining you in person, but I think 300 mL may be a little too small to give you the optimal aesthetic outcome.  Best wishes and enjoy your results,

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Biodimensional Analysis

I'm not sure how those numbers were generated for you, however I doubt your breast width is 14 and your nipple to inframammary fold distance on stretch is only 6.5.  That being said, I think 300 cc is more than likely appropriate in size, and that you won't have a large gap. Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Cleavage after breast augmentation?

Thank you for providing your Vectra photo measurements along with your question. I'm certain that you have had an extensive discussion with your plastic surgeon already. Given your present breast shape, you should be able to attain a nice augmentation with a variety of implant styles and volumes. I would only add that you are tall, with a fairly broad chest (~14cm). A larger volume implant would be wider/taller, providing more medial fullness, if this is of concern. However, as other colleagues have noted, any well-fitted bra can push the implants together to increase cleavage fullness. If you have lingering concerns regarding implant volume, I would discuss these with your plastic surgeon before proceeding with surgery.

Michael F. Bohley, MD

Breast augmentation

Hello and thank you for your question.  The size, profile, and shape of the implant is based on your desired breast size/shape, your chest wall measurements, and soft tissue quality.  This decision should be based on a detailed discussion with equal input from both you and your surgeon.  This entire surgery can be performed with a small incision technique.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.   The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Wide set

In reviewing your picture it appears that your sternum and the origins of your pectoralis muscles are not far apart. Therefore with both a submuscular or subglandular implant you should be able to achieve good cleavage with or without a bra. Good luck.

Barry M. Schwartz, MD
Weston Plastic Surgeon

Will my breasts push pretty close together after breast augmentation

Thank you for the question and picture. Based on your photograph, I think that you are starting a good place should have a nice outcome was breast augmentation surgery.  I would not consider your breasts to be "wide set" and expect that, with a well executed breast augmentation procedure (and carefully selected breast implant type/size/profile), you will  been able to achieve "close cleavage" in a bra…

Some general thoughts regarding "cleavage concerns" may be helpful to you and other young ladies considering breast surgery:

Patients undergoing breast augmentation should understand that their anatomical “starting point” will play a significant "role" in the outcome that they can expect with breast augmentation surgery.   If the patient starts out with a significant distance between the breasts, there are limits as to how close of "cleavage" can be achieved.  If over dissection (when developing breast implant pocket) occurs in the cleavage area, with the goal being to achieve as close as possible cleavage per patient's request, patients may experience significant problems such as breast implant displacement (medial  malposition or symmastia) and/or significant breast implant rippling/palpability.  Obviously, these types of problems may require revisionary breast surgery to correct.  

Also, keep in mind, that each nipple/areola complex must remain centered on each breast mound after surgery.  Again, careful dissection of the breast implant pocket and appropriate selection of breast implant size/width/profile will also play a role when it comes to how close the cleavage area will be postoperatively (and the overall shape/symmetry of the breasts). Careful measurement/dimensional planning plays a big role in this regard.

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. 

In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or "C or D cup" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.

Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.

3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.

I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with. 

Best wishes for an outcome that you will be pleased with long term.

May need wider implants

Most bras will give you nice cleavage regardless of the amount of actual space between your breasts.  My goal is to match your desired size and then give you the best possible shape and cleavage.

The amount of actual cleavage depends on the implant size (cc), implant width (profile), implant shape, implant texture, your anatomy, and the skill of your surgeon.

Based on your Vectra imaging, you will have a great result with proper implant and surgeon selection.

Best Wishes,

Nana Mizuguchi, MD

Nana N. Mizuguchi, MD, FACS

Breast implants: Will my breasts push pretty close together?

Implants do not build cleavage, but you will have more breast volume after surgery. This increased breast size will make it easier for you to create more cleavage in clothes. You can look forward to this for sure. You can see pictures of women similar to you who have had breast  augmentation at the link below. You'll see women with varying amounts of space between their breasts and how they look when their breasts are just made larger. For more information on this and similar topics, I recommend a plastic surgery Q&A book like "The Scoop On Breasts: A Plastic Surgeon Busts the Myths." Good luck.

Ted Eisenberg, DO, FACOS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Choosing breast implant size is both analytical and artistic

Much of the answer to your question has to be obtained from a personal examination of you and a discussion of your specific goals.  While you have provided an image here with some very useful information and measurements, it's not the complete picture, so I can only offer you general comments and estimates.  There are some important pieces of information that are missing like your height and weight and the thickness of the tissues of your breasts at a few key locations.  On the analytical side of things, I can say the following.  The imaging software has calculated a total volume for each breast, and that is helpful, but when assessing things like base width of implants and expected outcomes, knowing the tissue thickness overlying the implants is helpful too.  With regard to what you have provided, I can tell you that notwithstanding the minor asymmetries identified on the image, a 300 cc implant for both breasts will be on the modest side.  Having said this, however, I have to acknowledge that this is a highly subjective judgment, and much depends upon just how full you want your breasts to look, how close you want your cleavage to be, and what proportions you want your bust to have with respect to your entire physique.  Most 300 cc moderate plus implants have a base dimension of around 12.0 cm.  The base widths of your breasts appear to be 14.7 cm and 13.6 cm, according to the image, and with less than 100 cc of volume per breast, it is doubtful that you have more than 10 mm (1 cm) of tissue thickness to add to the width of a breast implant of 12 cm to produce an overall breast mound width that fits the width of even your smallest/narrowest breast.  This doesn't mean that it's bad, just that you have to understand that an implant of that size probably won't fill your cleavage very much.  Perhaps a pushup bra will help, but my guess is that it will be very modest.  You will have to decide how much you want that to be.  The other thing to bear in mind is that with the degree of asymmetry that you appear to have, it is probably originating from irregularity of the chest wall skelton, or rib cage.  Thus, one implant my "sit" slightly differently than the other on the chest, and this can influence apparent projection and fullness.  Thus, you may still have some asymmetry afer surgery.

This is one of the problems I have personally with relying entirely on a mathematical analysis of the breasts or using only imaging software to select an implant.  It ignores the very important visual, subjective factors that all add up subconsciously to our "liking" or "not liking" how a particular size of implant fits on a lady.  Thus, I find that one of the most important components of the implant selection process is a sizing exercise during which a patient physically tries on sizers of multiple different sizes, thereby allowing us to judge things like proportion, fullness, and balance.  These often wind up being more important in the end than the actual base width measurement or projection height.

Lastly, one other thing to mention that might be of use to you is shaped implants.  You appear to be a slender lady with relatively thin tissues who is aiming for a fairly "modest" size range of implants.  This tells me that you are likely hoping for a more "natural" appearance to your breasts without a dramatic upper pole roundness, or fullness.  That might be one reason why you are considering implants in the 300 cc range.  I find that if we have a goal to produce a bit fuller breast with more width to fill the cleavage, yet we want to avoid the obligatory upper pole roundness that comes with round implants of increasing volumes, a shaped implant will allow us to "cheat" upward on the size while still avoiding the obviously round upper breast contour.  Thus, we can select a fuller, wider implant for the lower part of the breast, which will create less projection in the upper breast, for a fuller cleaveage, but still an overall more natural look.  If you haven't considered this option or discussed it with your surgeon, it may be worth doing, because I have found it to be a very satisfying option in cases like I just described to you.  Best of luck.