I have nipple piercings. Will I have to take them out for my breast augmentation?

I have nipple piercings will I have to take them out for my breast augmentation? I will have had them a month short of a year at surgery time.

Yes, you’ll need to remove your piercings prior to breast augmentation surgery

Thanks for asking your question. Simply put, yes, you’ll need to take your nipple piercings out before your breast augmentation surgery. Piercings are foreign objects, and working around those piercings during your augmentation procedure presents the chance of infection and complications. It’s not recommended to get piercings directly before breast augmentation, and if you already have piercings, your surgeon will most likely have you take them out and give you instructions for when you may put them back in. If you have any questions or concerns, don’t hesitate to bring them up during your consultation.

Nipple piercings

Thank you for your question. No, you will not have to remove them but you will need to replace them with silicone or plastic ones. As long as there as they arent metal, you can keep them in during surgery. Best of luck to you.

Ed Breazeale, Jr., MD
Knoxville Plastic Surgeon

Nipple Piercings

I have patients get silicone or plastic spacers placed if I am doing just a breast augmentation. If you're having a mastopexy, I have them removed completely as your nipple can swell after a lift. Ask your surgeon.

Piercing with breast aug

Yes if they are made of metallic. Plastic would be okay. If removed you may ask if your surgeon or a nurse will replace them before you wake up. However some may not want the responsibility in case they are lost or misplaced

Ernest Layton, MD

Nipple piercings and breast augmentation

Yes, it is important to remove the nipple piercings especially if they are metal. Best of luck with your surgery.

Will I have to remove nipple piercings for breast augmentation surgery

In short, yes! 

Nipple piercings will give rise to an unacceptably high risk of infection in the short term, and then potentially capsular contracture in the longterm (due to the theory of capsular contracture being linked with a low grade infection of the implant).

Please remove them for surgery - they can always be reinserted post-operatively

Good luck!

Breast augmentation and nipple piercings

I have my patients remove their metal nipple rings or replace them with plastic spacers. During surgery, an electrocautery is used to stop small blood vessels from bleeding. The concern is that metal body piercings could divert the electrical current from the surgical site and cause an electrical burn. You need to check with your surgeon and your anesthesiologist to see their preference. For further information on this subject and similar questions, I'd recommend a plastic surgery Q&A book like "The Scoop On Breasts: A Plastic Surgeon Busts the Myths."

.

Ted Eisenberg, DO, FACOS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Nipple Piercing & Breast Augmentation

Yes, you will want to take them out before your surgery. If you'd like, ask your surgeon to replace them after he or she has completed your augmentation. That way there's no pain or worry about the holes closing up. 

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Nipple piercings.......Will I have to take them out for my breast augmentation?

Greetings.  The jewelry for the nipple piercings should be removed for safety reasons prior to surgery.  They can be replaced after the procedure is completed. Make sure to discuss this with your plastic surgeon.  Good luck!

Ravinder Jarial, DO

Piercings and breast augmentation

It's my belief that if it's easy to take out the piercing than that would be my preference. The metal can attract the current used in the electrocautery device and cause a burn of the nipple. In patients who have worried that the whole will close in the short amount of time that the case will take I have put a large suture through the whole so that the piercing can we rapidly put back right after the cases over. Ask your plastic surgeon about their preference. Good luck with surgery.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS