Breast Implant replacement/lift while breast feeding.

I am scheduled to have my current breast implants switched out to a lot smaller size, as well as have a lift done at the end of November. I am currently pumping breast milk for my baby and I wanted to know if I had to be completely "dried up" before surgery. I know I cannot continue to nurse after my surgery but I wasn't sure if I was still making milk at the time of surgery, if it would effect it.

Don't have surgery while breast pumping or breast feeding

I would put off your surgery for at least 3 months AFTER you complete your pumping.  I once had a patient who stopped breast feeding for six weeks but still developed a galactoma after breast augmentation.  You will get a more accurate idea of how much you want to downsize.  All the best to you.

Bismarck Plastic Surgeon

Breast feeding at time of surgery is not a good idea

Thank you for your question.  I would recommend you postpone your surgery.  It is not a good idea to be actively producing milk during your surgery.   Generally it is recommend that you wait at least 3 months to allow your breast tissues to recover and to minimize risk of complications.  Good luck.

Pumping is the same as breast feeding when it comes to surgery and the increased risks. I would not do the surgery for at least 4 months from the time you ceased pumping or breast feeding. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD