I'm just wondering how much it'd cost for a breast reduction?

I'm a 34DDD, I am 5'2, 130 pounds & constantly in pain. I'm sick of the way that they look & how my breasts make me feel. I live in Quebec and the RAMQ is a bit confusing. I believe I must have at least 250 grams removed, is that possible if I'd like to go down to a B?

Thanks for the question. When it comes to costs of surgery, there may be many “variables” involved. The specific surgeon's credentials/experience level (or lack thereof), the specific geographic area you are looking at, the different operations available, the location of the procedure (quality of surgery facility), type/quality of anesthesia provider, insurance company involvement… are some of the potential variables involved. You will find some average costs of surgery on this website and on individual plastic surgeons' websites as well.
In regards to outcome of the planned procedure, more important than costs of the procedures will be careful selection of your plastic surgeon. I would suggest starting with the American Society of Plastic Surgery and/or the Aesthetic Society of Plastic Surgery to obtain a list of well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons.
Then, I would suggest you visit a few surgeons whose practices concentrate on aesthetic surgery. Ask to SEE lots of examples of their work AND preferably speak/see patients who have had similar procedures done.
Be very careful with your decision-making. You will find, while doing your due diligence, that there are many different “specialties” who will offer their services to you; again, I strongly recommend you concentrate on surgeons certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.
  I would also suggest that you do not base your selection of plastic surgeon primarily on costs of surgery; keep in mind that revisionary surgery may be more costly in many ways. Best wishes.

Cost for elective breast reduction surgery may be the right answer.

According to the Schnur formula used by most insurance providers here in the US, you would need to have 313 grams per breast removed. But most insurers also have minimums of 400 grams per breast, nearly a pound per side. Whether or not your universal coverage will use the same guidelines is unknown to me, but I suspect your insurers are the same, so they may indeed.

Likewise, without a photo or personal examination, and giving you a 400cc implant and showing you just how much needs to be removed (so you can visualize just how much remains!), no one here can advise you regarding size remaining after a certain amount of tissue removal.

But elective breast reduction surgery (no insurance requirements need be met if you self-pay) will cost you around $9000 in Minneapolis at our accredited office surgical facility. Costs will likely be significantly higher in a free-standing surgical facility associated with a hospital, and highest in a hospital!

You may wish to consider coming to the US for surgery for this reason. Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction fees

The fees for a breast reduction will vary from surgeon to surgeon. Best to find a good surgeon and go for a consultation.

Cost of Breast Reduction in Canada

I am not familiar with the Canadian insurance system but I would assume a good place to start to inquire about pricing and insurance from plastic surgeons in your country.