Uneven breast size, is this normal? (photo)

Hello! I recently got a BA (oct 18th 2016) I was wondering if its normal to have one breast fuller than the other one? I got 400cc (in both) moderate profile teardrop under muscle. I also had abit of asymmetry. I know its only been 6 days but its kind of freaky! Thanks!

Post-op Breast Asymmetry

Mild asymmetry following breast augmentation surgery is completely normal, especially if some was evident before surgery as you said. One breast almost always swells or bruises a little more than the other. Most of the bruising resolves within three weeks. Give six to eight weeks for swelling. By that time, your implants will settle in to the pocket, some of the upper pole fullness will diminish, and the portion of your breast below the nipple will typically fill out. When one breast is significantly larger, higher, stiffer, more bruised than the other, very tender, red, and warm to the touch, these may be signs of hematoma formation, capsular contracture, or infection, and should be brought to the attention of your surgeon immediately. I see no evidence of this in your photos however, so there is no cause for alarm, just normal healing. Give yourself time and make sure you keep your follow-up appointments.

Orem Plastic Surgeon

Early Breast Asymmetry?

Becky.   I understand your concern, but it is way too early to worry about asymmetry. Allow your body to heal and your body accommodate to your implants. Stay in touch with your surgeon. Good Luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

Breast augmentation

Thank you for your question and photograph.

I would recommend consulting with your surgeon so they can perform a physical examination. You are very early in your recovery period and while there is swelling present, the breasts may appear uneven. Over the first 6-8 weeks the swelling should begin to resolve and the breasts will start to drop into their pockets and appear more natural and symmetrical. Everyone heals at different rates and one side may heal quicker than the other. I would wait until you are at least 6 months post op to make a final judgement on the symmetry of your breasts. Best of luck in your recovery.
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Uneven Breasts After Breast Augmentation #breastaugmentation #breastimplants

• As you realize, 6 days after a breast augmentation is much too early to know what your final results will look like.
  • Asymmetry before augmentation, as you mention you had, predicts that you will have asymmetry after breast augmentation.  Sometimes that asymmetry can actually be magnified by having implants. 
  • Over the next few MONTHS, as swelling goes down and the implants settle into place, your breasts' appearance will change.
  • Try to be patient, and you will likely end up being very happy with the results of your augmentation. 
  • Thanks for sharing!

Joshua Cooper, MD, FACS

Breast Augmentation - Post Op Swelling?

Thank you for your question and photo. You are still very early in the post-operative period. It typically takes 3 - 6 months for the swelling to subside and and implants to settle into proper position. The breasts may swell asymmetrically. Please discuss your concerns with your board certified plastic surgeon. Also, make sure you follow all of your plastic surgeons post-operative instructions regarding level of physical activity and use of a support bra. Hope this helps and good luck with your recovery.

Steven J. Rottman, MD, FACS

Takes time to heal

Breasts are always a little different.   It is far too early for you to determine anything about the end results.   Give yourself time to heal and then discuss with your doctor.  My Best,  Dr Commons

George Commons, MD
Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

Uneven breast size after breast augmentation?

Although mild breast asymmetry is to be expected short and long term after breast augmentation surgery, if significant asymmetry is present, there is cause for concern.  Shortly after surgery, significant breast asymmetry may be a sign of a complication that requires the attention of your plastic surgeon.

Generally, exactly what is causing the asymmetry will be best determined by your plastic surgeon, after physical examination.  Best to follow up with him/her for accurate assessment, advice, and/or meaningful reassurance. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with long-term.

Is it Normal to be Uneven After a Breast Augmentation

It is still quite early into your healing and it's not uncommon for #asymmetry as each breast heal quite differently. One breast may swell more, feel more uncomfortable, or have a different initial shape. After complete #healing, they will be more similar and natural. 

#Healing will continue for 2-3 months following your #augmentation procedure. There may be some swelling, bruising, malposition, color differences. Sensation will be abnormal. Scars will also be changing.
But, it can be up to one year see your final result. Your doctor may require you to move or massage the implants within the breast pockets during the #postoperative period. #Textured implants do not require breast massage. You will be informed about this at your post-operative visit. 
You must have patience, but if there are any causes of concern, ask questions of the doctor or the nursing staff.  

Breast asymmetry

I understand your concern, but 6 days is too early to see the final results. if you had asymmetry prior to surgery , you will likely have it after . Talk to your PS about the recovery phase . I think you will be happy with your results . 

Johnny Shea-Yuan Chung, MD, FACS
Allentown Plastic Surgeon

Breast Aug

just wait until all the swelling resolves to make any opinions about any asymmetries. Keep in mind that any asymmetries you may have had prior to your Augmentation are going to appear much more dramatic with implants in place. Good Luck! 

Jordan P. Farkas, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon