Tear drop shaped implants have higher risks of giving breast cancer?

Hello, I am 21 years old, 120 lbs, 5ft.7 and I am going to get a breast augmentation soon. I am currently a small 32B cup (not even). I am very interested in the tear drop shaped implant because I really don't like the round effect that the other implants give. I really want them to be as natural as possible. But while I was doing some research, someone told me that tear drop implants have higher risks of giving breast cancer. Is it true? Why could a shape higher the chances of getting cancer..

Do anatomical shaped breast implants cause cancer?

Hi - the only difference between tear drop and round implants is the shape of the implants.  The texturing (outer coating) of round and anatomical implants is the same - if implants are made by the same manufacturer.  There is certainly no evidence that tear drop implants have higher incidence of causing breast cancer compared to round implants.

Simply not true

Dear piscopo87,
You are correct in questioning why an anatomic (tear drop) shaped implant would be any more likely to cause breast cancer than a round implant.  There is no logical reason why this would be the case, and in fact, it is not.  In further fact is that no breast implant of any type causes breast cancer.  So, you may proceed with either type of breast augmentation.  Good luck!

Shape of implant and Breast CA

Thank you for your question. No, I have not heard that a specific shape of breast implant causes breast cancer. This is not true. After several years of detailed studies, the FDA has found silicone and saline implants to be safe. It is best to see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who can in person examine you, take key measurements and go over with you your specific aesthetic goals. It is important to see and feel the actual implants in person (silicone and saline) as there are several key differences and some similarities in the types, shapes and brands of breast implants when you are considering a breast augmentation.

Benjamin J. Cousins M.D.

Benjamin J. Cousins, MD
Miami Beach Plastic Surgeon