Do I need a revision, implants sitting too high, SYMMASTIA?...1 week post BA (photos(

Can you please tell me if the position of the implant seems ok? Do you think it is just a matter of time before more volume is created in my lower breasts below the nipple? The surgeon had a concern prior to the surgery that I get symmastia as he noticed that I had a thick layer of skin on my sternum. These are my pictures post op do you think I will need surgery later on? Is there something I can do in the meantime to avoid further symmastia?

Breast augmentation

You are very early post-op from breast augmentation and you need to give it time to settle. It does not look like you have symmastia. Best of luck.

Do I need a revision, implants sitting too high, SYMMASTIA?

Thank you for your question. There is no symmastia present.  
Generally speaking, breast implants will "drop" into the pocket that was created during surgery and massaging the implants downward may assist in the dropping of the implants after surgery (for those patients who want to help with the settling of the implants). The rate of breast implant "settling" may depend on factors such as size of breast implant pocket dissected, tightness of the overlying skin/muscle layers, and size of breast implant utilized.
Normally, it takes about 3-6 months (for some patients longer) to see the final result. It is very common for one side to settle faster than the other.

Again, best to follow your plastic surgeon for more specifics. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be pleased with long-term.

Thank you for your question and photos. In #Breast #Augmentation, the final #appearance, #shape, and #movement are not exactly the same as normal breasts. The surgically enlarged breasts do not move in the same way as normal breasts. They tend to be #firmer. The #contours are usually somewhat different than normal breasts. In some patients these discrepancies may be rather noticeable. Although every effort is made to place the implants symmetrically, #complete #symmetry is rarely achieved. Immediately after surgery, the breasts are swollen and firmer. The #final #shape and #size is approximated after #2 to #3 #months, but up to #one #year may be required for the #end #result. Regarding a possible #revision, your doctor may require you to move or #massage the implants within the #breast #pockets during the #postoperative #period. Textured implants do not require breast massage. You will be informed about this at your post-operative visit.
If you and your #BCPS believe that a revision surgery is necessary, you can discuss this with him and set up a plan to pursue that.

Concerns after Breast Surgery

I appreciate your concerns but way too early to worry. Your body needs time to heal and adapt to the implants. The skin and muscle over the implants must stretch a bit to allow the implants to settle into their final position. While your appearance will improve fairly quickly, don't expect to see your final result for at least 6 months after surgery. Good Luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

1 week post op, some advices:

Thanks for sharing your concerns with us.
Its too early to talk about results.
in my practice, after performing a BA I recommend to my patients to limit the movement of the arms for two weeks. After that, you can move your arms taking care and always with common sense.
In this regard, it's not advisable to carry heavy weights to prevent the implant out of position, and allow the formation of the physiological capsule around the implant, also to avoid pain and breast swelling.
kind regards,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Final Appearance After Breast Augmentation

Thank you for your question and for sharing your postoperative photographs.  Please keep in mind that it will take six months to see the final appearance of your breasts.  In general, normal postoperative swelling may cause the breasts to appear slightly larger in the postoperative recovery period and may even cause minor asymmetries, which will typically resolve with time.  It will also take time for your new breast implants to settle into place.  Your implants are high right now, which is normal in the early postoperative recovery period.  With time, you will notice increased fullness in the inferior poles of your breasts and decreased fullness in the superior poles of your breasts.  Please closely follow your plastic surgeon's postprocedure instructions in terms of activity restrictions and possible use of compression garments.  I see no evidence of symmastia in your photographs.  I would advise you to stay in close contact with your plastic surgeon and to address any specific concerns with him or her during an in-person examination in order to determine the best course of action.  Best wishes! 

Do I need a revision?

At one week post op you should really avoid considering a revision, as nothing of what you are currently seeing will be the same in few months. You don't have symmastia, at least looking at the pictures, but you may have a small fluid collection on your left breast, that looks significantly fuller at the top. You may want to check this with your surgeon.

Ciro Adamo, PhD, MD
London Plastic Surgeon

Implant position

You do not have symmastia. For implants placed under the muscle, this elevation of the implants at one week and even for a few more weeks is not only very common, but almost expected. Follow your surgeon's instructions in breast massage and your muscles will relax and the implants should fall into position over a few weeks. Good luck.

Do I need a revision, implants sitting too high, SYMMASTIA?...1 week post BA

Your result looks normal for 1 week postop and I do not see any evidence of symmastia.  A double take 8-12 weeks for the implants to drop and reach their final position that it present time based on your photos he look normal for 1 week.

Are my implants too high

All at one week postoperatively, with the swelling commensurate with the procedure, it can make the skin over the breastbone tent to appear as if the pockets are connected. This will usually go away within a few weeks. Generally speaking, especially early in the post-operative phase of healing, it is not uncommon to have one or both implants appear to be high up by the clavicle. Although the “pocket” may be made correctly, the implant may not have access to the bottom for several reasons. If the overlying muscle or skin is tight, this will move the implant to the path of least resistance which is up and towards the underarm where there is little or no pressure. As the pressure relaxes, the implant will drop down to the bottom. Smooth implants, because their surface is slippery, may move faster downward than a textured implant with its rough surface. Because these variables mentioned above can be different for each side, it's not uncommon that one side will drop faster to the bottom of the pocket than the other. Similarly, sometimes one breast will swell more than the other or be more painful than the other early in the postoperative phase. After the first month or two, usually things will even out. It wouldn't be, in my practice, until four months or so has passed that I would entertain going back to the operating room to “touch up” the location of the breast implant in the pocket. Sometimes specialized bras or straps as well as massage and stretching protocols may be helpful in allowing this process to happen more quickly. Each plastic surgeon will have different thoughts on what the best protocol is for the patient. Your operating plastic surgeon will be your best resource to have this information passed on to you. I recommend that you faithfully follow up and follow the instructions of your chosen plastic surgeon. Congratulations on your surgery, and good luck for an uneventful recovery.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS