What can I do about puffy nipples? Do I have tuberous breasts? (Photos)

I had a BA (silicone mod 375cc, unders) about 3 weeks ago and I've noticed that my nipples look very puffy. I had this problem before, but it got worse after the surgery. I was wondering what could be done about it? My nipples give my breasts a cone shape that I don't like. Could the puffyness be corrected with only an inverted nipple surgery? What do you suggest? I know I have to wait for the final result, I just don't think the nipple situation is going to correct itself with time. Thank you!

Nipple areolar concern

Thanks for your inquiry and excellent pictures.  You are right you had some of this "puffiness" before surgery, but right now you still have swelling.  I believe this can improve with time over the next several months.

Nipple concern

Great question! I would suggest that you wait until the implants have had time to heal and settle in and determine if this is still bothersome to you. There is a procedure called a peri-areolar (donut) mastopexy that will help flatten the areola and "round out" the breast, however you have to be willing to trade for the scar. Talk to your surgeon about your concerns and you can weigh your options when the time comes. Best Wishes!

Puffy nipples

Atr 3 weeks you are still swollen. You need to give it 4-6 months minimum to settle a bit.  If they are puffy becaue of tissue and not due to swelling then sometimes an areola reduction with a permanent suture may help.

What can I do about puffy nipples? Do I have tuberous breasts?

Thank you for your question and photographs. I can see your area of concern and often this resolves spontaneously as your breast augmentation results mature over the next 6 months.  Hang in there and maintain close follow up with your surgeon to ensure an appropriate recovery.  

Post-Op Healing with Breast Shape

If you have significant asymmetry and tuberous breast I will perform  the #breastlift and i#breastmplant in one stage. I have about a 15% need for revision or secondary surgery but that is a better option then subjecting 100% of my patients to two stages as some surgeons prefer. However, if this is something you are experiencing in post-op healing then it may be more of the swelling and healing process overall.
The patient will go home in a bra or with only light dressings over the incision lines. Sutures are dissolvable but an ending knot, if present is removed within 1-2 weeks. Initial discomfort is easily controlled with oral medication. Light activities may be started in 7-10 days. Healing will go on for 2-3 months for the early period.  There may be some swelling, bruising, malposition, color differences.   Sensation will be abnormal.  Scars will be changing. If my patients have concerns that something is unusual about their healing process, it is important for them to call the office and discuss these concerns or come in to be examined. Now, if you continue to have any questions or concerns about the healing process it would be a good idea to visit your surgeon soon in order to have the area evaluated for proper healing. Since it has only been about three weeks you should still have time for healing to continue, but you should also not hesitate to contact your surgeon. Best of luck!

This will resolve with time

At this point in your recovery, it is much too soon to be worried about the outcome.  It takes time for the implants to settle into position and the skin and muscle to stretch out to accommodate the new implant.  It may be 6 months or more before the shape has reached its final look.  Be patient.

What can I do about puffy nipples? = very likely they will get better soon #BA #breastimplants #breastaugmentation

In certain cases, after a breast augmentation with implants the nipple areola complexes may look very "puffy" in a cone shape appearance. That is very common in very young patients. As the breast tissue reshapes around the breast implants the areola flattens and acquires a more "normal" flat shape. This may take from weeks to months. 

John Mesa, MD