Where should an otoplasty scar be located and is it normal that its seen from behind? (photo)

I have done otoplasty 5 months ago and I wanted a natural result. The problem is that my ear is closer to my head but not completely flat against my head so I have one scar behind my ear that is still red and visible from behind. I thought the incisions wouldnt be visible. But, the incision is in the middle of my ear cartilage (back) . Is this normal and when will it become invisible? You can see the picture attached that isnt very clear but you can see the location. Thank you

Otoplasty scar

It is normal to have a scar visible from behind. The redness should subside over the next few months. In the mean time you can use a cover up. RegardsDr. J

Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Otoplasty scar

There are invisible scars only with the Merck stitch method. As you were operated on with a traditional otoplasty, by which the back of the ear is cut open, it is normal that you have got a scar. Later on the scar will not be so visible anymore as it will lose its current red coloring.  

Waldemar Merck, MD
Germany Plastic Surgeon

Otoplasty scar

Although it's a bit difficult to tell from the photo, the scar looks like it's in about the right place.  At 5 months, things should be at least starting to quiet down (get less red and flatter).  If that's not the case, go back to your surgeon and let him take a look.  There are a whole bunch of things that can be done to make things better!

Robert K. Sigal, MD
Reston Plastic Surgeon