Would I need a lift or can by breast be fuller and perkier with implants only? (photos)

I have significant asymmetry. And would like my breast to be the same size would I need a lift or would an implant be sufficient to restore the volume and symmetry in my breast?

Will my breasts be perkier without a breast lift?

Thank you for your question. Based on the pictures provided, I would certainly recommend a breast lift. Sometimes patients are concerned about having a breast lift due to the additional scars, however, I do believe it is a trade-off, and you have to decide if it is more important to you to have full, perky breasts, or breasts without scarring. Simply adding an implant when a lift is recommended will not restore fullness in the upper pole of the breast. In fact, it may be the opposite, resulting in the “rock in a sock” effect. Basically, if you take a sock and put a rock in it, it will add volume to the sock, but the extra weight will drag the bottom of the sock down. The same idea applies to implants in a breast with loose tissues as well. Since the breast tissues have developed laxity, the added weight of the implant will cause the breast to drop further, instead of restoring fullness in the breast.

By performing a breast lift in addition to an augmentation, the excess skin on the bottom of the breast will be removed and the tissues will be reinforced, elevating the breast. With this technique, the implant will sit in an optimal position in the breast, restoring a youthful, full breast shape and size.

Nick Slenkovich, MD, FACS

The age old question

Dear MelP,
There is no question that you will need a breast lift, whether or not you choose to have an implant placed.  If you choose to avoid implants and wish your breasts to be the same size, then a small reduction can be done on the larger breast.  Good luck!

Breast Lift with Implants

Hi Mel,
My guess is that you will need a lift. Please put an index card in your breast fold. If your nipple is at the edge of the card or below, then you would be a candidate for a lift, either a vertical or anchor or areolar incision. If your nipple is above the edge, you could be a candidate for an internal lift called the dual plane. Please see the web reference and video reference below. Be sure to seek a consultation with a BC PS to be sure.  Also, be sure to have a larger implant inserted into your smaller right breast to achieve better volume symmetry.  All the best, “Dr. Joe”

Lift

A lift will keep you close to your size now, maybe slightly smaller. Implants would not be enough based upon your photos.

Can I get the look i want without a breast lift?

I don't think you will be happy with your results without having a lift. Some patients are concerned with scarring and others with the additional expense, but in cases such as yours its your best option. 

Sarah A. Mess, MD
Columbia Plastic Surgeon

Lift for sure

I would do a lift on both breasts and reduce the larger breast to make things more even in size. You could add implants but this may not be what you want and they do need to be replaced at some point in time. Good Luck!

Gregory T. Lynam, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Would I need a lift or can by breast be fuller and perkier with implants only?

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well..
The breasts may lose their elasticity and firmness which can be caused by different factors such as pregnancy, massive weight loss, lactation and aging. To reaffirm the breasts and restore the natural look your surgeon can perform a mastopexy or breast lift. A breast lift restores a firmer, perkier, and more aesthetically pleasing shape to sagging breasts. This not only can improve a patient’s appearance by restoring her youthful, feminine proportions, but  also help bras and swimsuits fit more comfortably and attractively. By removing excess, stretched out skin, reshaping the breast tissue, and raising the nipple & areola into a more forward position, a cosmetic surgeon can create a more youthful breast contour. Stretched, large areolae can also be reduced during breast lift surgery, creating an overall better proportioned, natural looking breast, hugs!

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Thank you for your question. based on your photo you will need a breast lift plus implants. This will also improve your asymmetry. read below to understand the snoopy deformity risk if implants done without a lift:

Lift with implants is good way to miimize breast asymmetries

I have attached a link that might be helpful...

Hi MelP1317.  Thank you for sharing your photos with your question.  You need a lift to reshape your breasts, help match the volume discrepancies and reposition the nipple areolar complexes.  An implant will provide good volumization and help reduce the upper sloping of the breasts, but is unlikely by itself to fix the asymmetries.  Be sure to consult with the patients of your plastic surgeon about their experience and outcomes, in addition to looking at B & A photos.  Good luck!

Thank you for your question.  A lift (mastopexy) can help tighten your breasts and make them look perkier while improving the symmetry and reducing the areola size (if desired).  If this option is used only, removing some breast tissue from the larger side would help improve symmetry.  Otherwise, if implants are used in combination with a lift b/c you want to maintain a larger size, different size implants would be considered.  Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck!

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS