Which would you recommend; Inframammary or periareolar incision? (photos)

I'd love to degrease nipple puffiness/fix the somewhat* tuberous shape but I also don't want to risk higher chance of capsular contraction and terrible areola scars. Would my breasts work with inframammary or would periareolar be the right choice?

Which would you recommend; Inframammary or periareolar incision?

Thank you for the question. There are several good approaches to breast augmentation surgery; different surgeons will have their own preferences. In my practice, I prefer the inframammary or infrareolar approach for most patients. Despite what you may hear, I think most patients can have the infraareola incision used regardless of the size of breast implants or size of areola. The Keller funnel has made the insertion of all sizes of breast implants much easier. I think of the funnel has also made it easier to perform a true "no touch" technique ( potentially decreasing the incidence of breast implant encapsulation). Personally, I think the advantages of the infraareolar incision far outweigh any theoretical disadvantages. These advantages include proximity to the planned dual plane submuscular pocket dissection, relatively hidden/forgiving location of scarring, coverage by clothing/swimming suit etc. Best wishes.

Both incisions can be used

Thank you for your inquiry and congratulations on considering breasts enhancement procedure.

Based on the photos and description you shared both surgical approaches could potentially provide you with similar results.

It is best to schedule a consult with the a well experienced and a board certified surgeon who will point you in the right direction to make a well educated decision.

I hope this helps and the best of luck to you.

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Inframammary or Periareolar breast implant incision

Both incisions can produce excellent cosmetic results. There is some evidence that complications are less common using the inframammary technique. Your Areolae are close to normal and the implants may well flatten them and make them less puffy. See an experienced board certtified plastic surgeon

An inframammary incision or a periareolar incision may seem reasonable. Best to be evaluated in person, goo luck.

Hi... thank you for the question and photos... Evaluating your case, you are a great candidate for a periareolar incision, and under the muscle silicon gel implants to improve your look and shape. The inframammary incision is more common to have bottoming out results. 

Luis A. Mejia, MD

Inframammary vs periareolar scars and areola herniation or bulging, tuberous

There are various choices and consequences. My paper in the literature was the first to showa higher incidence of contracture when the implant is placed through the periareolar incision vs. the inframammary incision. Since the areola herniation is not severe, an option would be to just place implants through the inframammary incision to minimize contracture and see if the herniation is bothersome after the tissues soften over the next few months. If it is, later, a periareolar mastopexy could be done, but the scar is significant, so a decision as to what is most bothersome, the herniation or the scar. Another option is implant insertion through the inframammary incision with simultaneous periareolar mastopexy, of course, for both options, that is two scars on each breast.

this information is for educational purposes and is not a substitute for a consultation with a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

I highly recommend you the "Periareolar Incision". A "Silicone Gel Cohesive High Profile With Polyurethane Cover" implant placed over the muscle will correct, in my opinion and experience, your condition.

The Periareolar Incision will allow the plastic surgeon to lift the Nipple-Areolar Complex (CAP).

Good Luck.

Adolfo Sesto, MD

Difficult question to answer

Thank you for the photos and the question.  I think it will come down to what is most important to you.  A breast augmentation in dual plane type fashion or subfascial implant position would likely take care of the "tuberous" conponent of your breast.  The areola size can only be made smaller via a purse string areolaplasty using an incision around your breasts.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD