Hydroquinone or Fraxel for acne scar? (Photo)

Hello, I had a consultation in november for Fraxel and the doctor put me under a product called Blanchisse that was supposed to balance my ph, control acne and reduce the dark spot. It just controlled a bit my acne . I didnt get the result she told me After reading here that fraxel might not might efficient to remove it completely or a bit too hard depending on the laser, I didnt do it What about Hydroquinone..will it remove my dark spot completely? Or should I just go with Fraxel..

Dark Scar Removal

Hi Di.  Before recommending any laser treatments for acne scars, it would be wise to get the acne under control.  Your acne is not controlled now so any attempts to treat the scars will be disappointing as the spots will come right back as soon as you get new acne.

Once the acne is under control, consider high strength hydroquinone (4% - 8%) for 2-3 months and that should take care of things.  For an example of before and after pictures where we addressed the acne first and acne scars second, visit the link below.  Good luck.

Hyperpigmentation and acne

Tazorac is a prescription cream that is very effective in controlling acne and in lightening the marks left from inflammation. Results take approximately two months to be seen. Hydroquinone can be combined with Tazorac to speed results, but it should be stopped quickly if irritation develops.

Ramona Behshad, MD
Saint Louis Dermatologic Surgeon

Treat acne first

Hi! I would not start with Fraxel. Getting the acne under better control would be the best place to start. Then I would first treat the skin with a lightening cream like hydroquinone and consider Fraxel or another facial resurfacing method after those treatments have been tried.

Joshua L. Fox, MD
Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

Acne Scarring, Hyperpigmentation, and Fraxel Laser Resurfacing

Thank you for including the pictures. The first step is to get your acne under control. A topical retinoid can help with this, and will also help lighten hyperpigmentation. Once your acne is controlled, you can add a skin bleaching agent such as hydroquinone. I would prep the skin for at least eight weeks with a skin care regimen containing topical retinoid, hydroquinone, and sunscreen. After that, you can consider laser treatments (such as the Fraxel laser) to improve your acne scarring. The treatment settings will need to be adjusted to accommodate your dark skin, but you should be able to obtain improvement. You will need to continue your skin care regimen during the laser treatments, and for sometime afterwards. I suspect that you will still have some hyperpigmentation after the laser treatments, and for longer-term therapy you should switch to a non-hydroquinone bleaching product.

Kenneth Dembny, II, MD
Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon

Fraxel laser and dark spots

Fraxel is a great laser but is not indicated for dark spots with patients with type III or IV or darker skin.  I would suggest you consult a board certified dermatologist for the proper acne treatments which might also consist of topical hydroquinone to minimize the dark spots.  Chemical peels may help your skin as well as Retin-A or Retinols.