Do I have gynecomastia? I am a good candidate for a surgery? (Photo)

I'm looking for good advice... I'm a man of 30 years old who take since 2 years finasteride to keep my hair. 2 months ago I notice pain and breast grow underneath oréola and I'm affraid that will continue grow. Do I have gynecomastia ? I am a good candidate for a surgery? Thanks a lot

Doctor Answers 8

Who is a Gynecomastia Surgery Candidate

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

According to official statistics, 36% of adult young men and 57% of older #adult men in the United States have this medical condition in one of the four grades.
About 200,000 to 3 million cases of #gynecomastia are being reported every single year. So if you have #breast #enlargement and you feel you're an exception, please understand that 1 in 3 young adult #men and 1 in 2 older adult men are just like you and have breast enlargement.
There are three types of surgical treatment options available that treat gynecomastia. Your board-certified plastic surgeon will recommend the type best suited for you. The most important decision to be made before performing any surgical procedure is determining whether you are an ideal candidate. Weight, and more specifically body mass index (BMI), need to be considered when deciding.
Consulting with a board-certified plastic surgeon is highly suggested in order to determine if you are a surgery candidate and what treatments are best for you.

Orange County Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 116 reviews

Do I have gynecomastia? I am a good candidate for a surgery?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
It will be important to make the correct diagnosis before determining the best course of treatment. Most patients who are concerned about tissue below the nipple/areola complexes present with gland tissue in the area, not adipose tissue. In these cases, direct excision of the glandular tissue plus/minus liposuction surgery is usually indicated. For the rare patient who presents with adipose tissue only, liposuction surgery only may be indicated. I would suggest in-person consultation with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon for accurate diagnosis and appropriate/ethical treatment recommendations. Best wishes.

Excisional treatment for gynecomastia.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
It looks as though the predominant problem on the chest wall is a glandular breast Bud. This would require direct excision. Physical examination would be necessary to establish this. Lucky patients can be treated with liposuction alone.

Gynecomastia after finasteride

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for asking about your gynecomastia.

  • Your photo suggests a very slight increase of breast tissue under the areolae.
  • The breast growth may stop if you stop finasteride.
  • If it does not, or if you plan to continue finasteride, consult a plastic surgeon with experience in treating gynecomastia.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
Hope you found this answer helpful. Best wishes.


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
While physical exam is optimal, your photos demonstrate probable Gynecomastia. Your surgical options include liposuction, as your case is not severe. Seek out a board certified plastic surgeon and check out the link below to an article I wrote about Gynecomastia, good luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 33 reviews


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
If you have gynecomastia at all, it is very minimal.

Gynecomastia can be a side effect of finasteride.  Unfortunately, even if you stop taking finasteride, the gyne that was stimulated rarely disappears spontaneously.

Best recommendation is to seek an opinion from an experienced gynecomastia expert.  Do your research carefully.

You can read much more about gynecomastia on my website listed below.

Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACS
New York City

Gynecomastia Montreal QC

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
You have gynecomastia ,but it is not severe.
How should I choose a surgeon?
Selecting a surgeon is as important a choice as the decision to undergo surgery. Choose carefully only a board certified PLASTIC SURGEON. The decision is yours. What follows is some advice to assist in making your selection.
1. Experience matters. Choosing a surgeon who has performed over one thousand gynecomastia cases increases the likelihood that they have seen a case similar to yours in the past. Selecting a surgeon whose practice is focused on gynecomastia exclusively is also an indicator of experience.
2. Results matter. The more before-and-after pictures a surgeon displays, the better. Pay attention not just to the number of pictures, but whether the surgeon is confident enough to show multiple angles of the same patient.
3. Reviews matter. Have patients reviewed your surgeon? Did those patients undergo the surgery you are considering?
4. Expertise matters. Is your surgeon recognized by the profession as an authority in the field? Are they certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery? Have they authored books or medical journal articles regarding your surgery?
We hope these guidelines are of assistance when you are selecting your surgeon. When undergoing surgery, it is very important to be realistic about your expectations. Past results are not a guarantee of future results. Also, revision surgery tends to be significantly more difficult than initial surgery.

Mordcai Blau, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 88 reviews

Gynecomastia and finasteride

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Hello.  Thanks for your question.

Finasteride is a medication that has been related to gynecomastia.  Based upon your photos, I do see a bit of extra tissue underneath your areolae, so it is possible you have gynecomastia.

The best way to tell is to visit your local Plastic Surgeon for a full consultation and opinion.  If your surgeon determines that the finasteride may be the cause of the gynecomastia, it would be best to come off of it and allow the gynecomastia to stabilize before surgery.  Your surgeon will help you decide.

Best wishes.

Kevin O'Grady, MD, FRCSC
Toronto Plastic Surgeon

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.