Experienced under eye injector?

I've been thinking about getting restylane injected under my eyes to reduce my eye bags. Doctors here are saying it's important to find an experienced injector who've done a lot of under eye injections, because this is a delicate area. Now, my question might seem a little stupid but, how can I find an experienced injector in my area (montreal)? Almost all surgeons offer injections.. so, do I simply e-mail each of them asking if they have experience with restylane? How do you find the best ones?
Click here to search for board certified surgeons in your area.

Doctor Answers 8

Word of mouth

Reducing eye bags can be straight forward, or very very tricky, depending on your anatomy. Some patients have multiple causes of protruding eye bags. For example I have prominent eye bags due to really strong under eye muscles called obucularis occuli. The solution? Only one unit of BOTOX  1-.5 mm below my lower lid and they are much less prominent. ( See my before and afters - I think I have a photo there). 
Now my brother who is 3 years younger than me also has prominent eye bags. His cause however is not due to strong muscles but loss of fat between his eye bag area and the side of his nose. Botox is not need, but I placed some dermal filler ( I used Juvederm, but one can use Perlane- Restylane).

Bottom line- you need a good assessor and some one who can perform all procedures - as this area can be technically challenging to get just right. 

All the best

Dr Davin Lim 
Laser Dermatologist
BRISBANE, Australia. 

Brisbane Dermatologist
4.7 out of 5 stars 77 reviews

How to Find and experienced injector

Its very difficult these days to sift through the advertisements,websites and reviews for various physicians. Use your common sense. A surgeon or physician who's practice and training gives them experience in facial and occuloplastic sugery would be a safe place to start. Obviously there are many clinics that don't fit this criteria so be carefull

Good luck!

Thomas Buonassisi, MD
Vancouver Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 108 reviews

Finding An Expert & Experienced Physician Filler Injector Anywhere

The criteria for finding an experienced injector of fillers and volumizing fillers for treating the face (especially under the eyes), as well as the neck, chest, and hands are basically the same no matter where you live. But, I do agree with you that this can be especially important when considering having the delicate area under the eyes injected--an area subject to many potential complications if not properly injected.

The following are some suggested general recommendations for finding a suitable injector, with the understanding that there are always  exceptions to any rules

First, it might be wise to avoid non-physician injectors and med-spa injectors who might not be under the tight supervision of the titular "medical director" of the spa..

Stick to only board certified aesthetic core physicians: i.e. cosmetic dermatologists, plastic surgeons, ophthalmic plastic surgeons, ENT plastic surgeons, etc.

It might also be prudent to exclude non-core (non-aesthetic) physician injectors, i.e. podiatrists, dentists, nurses, PAs, gynecologists, cardiologists, breast surgeons, etc. i.e. those who have likely learned a few basics--like Botox for scowl lines and Restylane for smile lines--at some one or two day didactic sessions and who are trying to grab a slice of the aesthetic pie by setting aside a few hours a week outside of their fields to aesthetics around and between their regular medical practices.

Be wary of those given to heavy advertising and marketing and those making what may sound like "too good to be true" promises or guarantees of results.

Ask a trusted family physician or internist for recommendations

Check with your local county medical society for the names of several nearby board certified aesthetic physicians, and then consult with and vet them.  Be sure to ask to see their before and after photos specifically of patients of theirs whom they have injected under the eyes. 

Don't brush aside any gut feelings in helping you to determine your level of confidence and trust in a particular physician.

Finally, don't forget that you must "wear" your face all the time, so if it turns out that you need to travel a bit for the proper treatment, in this day and age, traveling outside your city to be treated by the right doctor is not such a big deal and is done all the time by so many people that, if my own practice is any indication, it is more the norm these days than the exception.

I wish you the best of luck.

Nelson Lee Novick, MD
New York Dermatologic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 30 reviews

Undereye fillers

In Montreal,
I would see Dr. Wayne Carey or Dr. Arthur Swift. Both have a great deal of experience. 

Jamil Asaria, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 131 reviews

Experienced tear trough injector

Hello, Great question, and probably one I have to answer with some caution.  But, basically you want someone who does these regularly (tough to tell) and who knows the anatomy (a true plastic or facial plastic surgeon).  Starting with the latter should get you somewhere.  Then, asking them specifically about their technique helps.  I've seen both old and young "injectors" do it wrong.  Start by looking at website before and afters also... that being said, since I'm so recently done with training, even my website doesn't display my results - yet!

So, I know a lot of folks out there are injecting Juvederm or Restylane in this area, but I personally prefer Voluma or Lyft (off-label use).  Why?  In the deep plane, it lasts the longest and is the best investment, gives the most natural results by "building up" the deficient malar bone, draws in less water than the others, so your results at the end of the treatment are your end results, and some other reasons.  That being said, I only know of a couple people injecting this product the way I do it, although more articles are starting to come out.  If you're in New York some time let me know.  I have someone I trust I could refer you to, to do it right.

Cain R. Linville, MD
Houston Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 33 reviews

Eye Injections and Experienced Injector

The best way to find an experienced injector is to see their qualifications and ascertain if they are injecting on a daily basis.  Both Belotero and Restylane are great injections for the under eye area. Best, Dr. Green

Michele S. Green, MD
New York Dermatologist
5.0 out of 5 stars 78 reviews

Under eye injections

Tough call. I do a lot of injections and in the tear trough, but don't show tons of photos in my office because many patients do not come back early after injection and only come back for more filler when it has resorbed.

Steven Wallach, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.1 out of 5 stars 29 reviews

Experienced under eye injector

That is actually an excellent question.  Here are some tips.  Stick with core board certified doctors - dermatology, plastic surgery, oculoplastics, ophtho.  Stay away from people who are injecting on the side, and certainly stay away from anyone doing it in a hotel room or the like!  You can also find doctors in your area on this website, realself.com.  You can browse profiles, read reviews, see their eduction, look at their before and after pictures. That will give you a good idea to see their work.  Good luck!

Jacquelyn Dosal, MD
Miami Dermatologic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 9 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.