Brow lift or blepharoplasty? (photos)

Hello! I know I need a rhinoplasty (it is worst on the side) and that will be done but I was always concerned with people asking if I am "angry/worried" when I am just neutral or focused. I have been proposed a brow lift. My husband is concerned that will result in a "surprised look" and for my part I am not sure if an upper blepharoplasty would not be better. Or just a rhinoplasty would be enough of a change to help with that "angry/worried look"?

Eyebrow lift, versus eyelid lift

A brow lift is performed when patient's have low set eyebrows which accomplish is raising them, softening the vertical lines between the eyebrows, and adjusting the hairline either upwards or downwards. The goal of an upper blepharoplasty procedure is to remove hooded and excess skin touching the eyelashes. For more information and many examples of both procedures, please see  the link and the video below

Brow Lift or Blepharoplasty

Based on just one picture I suggest you consider a brow lift. You and your husband can see(no pun intended) the results if you stand in front of a mirror and lift your brows. The surprised look is a concern of every patient before this procedure but having the operation done by an experienced surgeon and carefully discussing the ideal brow position will avoid this complication. If you do the upper lid blepharoplasty you will have to wait many years to do a brow lift because excess upper eyelid skin is necessary to do the lift. 

Addressing the brow, eyelids and frown muscles will achieve your goals without the "surprised look"!

Hello!
Your story, that others (usually friends and family) tell you that you look upset, worried or angry, is one I hear commonly from patients. Our brains are wired to associate these emotions with how faces, particularly the eyes, appear. A trio of low positioned eyebrows, upper eyelid skin that crowds the outer eyes (called "lateral hooding"), and frown lines all add up in our minds as worry or upset, when in fact you may not be feeling those emotions at all.  
Surgical lifts are the only solution: I address all 3 of these issues with with a brow lift (for low eyebrows), upper blepharoplasty (for excess eyelid skin), and frown muscle weakening (for frown lines). The end result is not a surprised look but rather a brighter and more joyous appearance to the eyes which others will then interpret subconsciously as happiness and wellbeing.  I highly recommend this combination of procedures to you as you have all 3 findings. In skilled hands, you won't end up with a surprised look. I perform this surgery in about 2.5 hours with light general anesthesia delivered by a board certified anesthesiologist, and recovery is about 7-10 days and with minimal pain. 
Rhinoplasty is focused on proportion and refinement, rather than changing the appearance of emotions - by itself, even a beautiful rhinoplasty result won't affect the "upset" appearance of your eyes.  Nonetheless, rhinoplasty could potentially be performed in the same operation (depending on the complexity). Certainly that would offer multiple advantages: 1 surgery, 1 recovery (lasting about 2 weeks) and 1 surgery would be much more cost-effective (savings of thousands of dollars based on OR and anesthesia time) as compared with having 2 separate surgeries.  Lengthening the amount of surgery time does not necessarily increase risk. Your safety during surgery and anesthesia is the most important aspect, and my patients enjoy the confidence of board certified physicians with decades of experience at the helm of their care.
All the best in your search!- Dr. Rad

Ariel N. Rad, MD, PhD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Brow Lift | Rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question. Find comfort knowing that many individuals cure their concerns about appearing "angry/worried" through a brow lift. While this procedure specifically addresses the eyebrows, a blepharoplasty addresses the eyelids and both are oftentimes performed at the same time to rejuvenate the eye region at the same time. A rhinoplasty will assist in addressing other creases on the bridge of the nose while the brow lift lessens the wrinkles high up on the bridge of the nose often called frown lines. I suggest you consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon.Best wishes,

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Brow lift or blepharoplasty?

Hi, I have performed many Brow Lifts and Eyelid Surgeries over the past 30 years.  From the photos, your eyebrows do appear to be low, as well as excess upper eyelid skin and some excess fat in the lower eyelids.  Brow lifts can be performed using several techniques and when properly performed should not give your face the "surprised" look. This results from an excess raising of the inner and mid section of the eyebrows and can easily be avoided in the hands of an experienced Brow Lift Surgeon.
Hope this helps.