Alternative to Eyelid Lift? (photos)

I am 30 years old and have droopy lids. I went to see the surgeon and he said that it is not the skin but fat cells that makes it drop. I'd like to get the surgery but would like to know first if there is any alternative. Thank you.

Blepharoplasty or alternative

Your upper eyelids appear to those which would benefit from blepharoplasty (eyelid lift) with removal of skin primarily; I don't typically remove fat in the central upper lid and only reduce medial/inner fat pockets in patients older than yourself. 

Alternatives would include synthetic fillers such as Restylane to lift the skin but you would likely be happier with skin removal. 

Hope that helps and best of luck. 

Dr. Donath

Cincinnati Facial Plastic Surgeon

Alternative to Eyelid Lift?

Greetings

Thank you for your question. If you are complaining about dropping of the eyelids or lower eyelid bagginess then you might be a good candidate for the Laser Blepharoplasty operation. Although the plastic surgery era is highly developed and there are new treatment models for several other procedures; there is still no efficient alternative of blepharoplasty operation. If you are not comfortable with the look of your eyelids blepharoplasty operation may be a solution for you.

Bulent Cihantimur, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Possible Eyelid Surgery?

Thank you for your question and photo! You would absolutely benefit from an upper eyelid surgery! I suggest you seek a board certified plastic surgeon and have a consultation, to discuss your options!  Best of luck!

Dr Dhaval Patel

Double Board Certified 

Plastic Surgeon 

Chicago 

Hoffman Estates

Oak Brook

Dhaval M. Patel, MD
Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon

The heavy fold should be improved with structure not subtractive eyelid surgery.

Many surgeons do one type of upper eyelid surgery and it is much too aggressive.  Less is more.  You need structure in these upper eyelids.  The Microdroplet Lift, a botulinum toxin method, would help lift the eyebrow but the service only lasts a few months.

Full eyelids

You have fullness of the upper lids and brow which is considered very attractive these days.  Your brow appears to be plenty high, and you have a nice arch. Elevating the brow will make it look too high.  You have a little bit of extra skin.  This could be removed surgically. Unfortunately there is not much you can do non-surgically to help with that.  Some Botox to the outer corner will lift the temporal brow and make the eye appear more open, but i worry it will make your brow look too high and too arched.  

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon

Brow position

So, its not easy to tell but there is a decent chance your brow position may be a little low. For a girl it should be 5 mrs above the orbital margin, the bony rim of your eye socket. 

If yours is at the bony margin, then a little lift of the brow will help the lids no end. Especially given your age then this may be possible with a little sub brow botox. It is something you can try cheaply and if it isn't for you, little is lost. 

Hope that helps. 

Adam Goodwin

Eyelid lift alternative

It looks like you have some hooding of your upper eyelids, which is best treated with upper blepharoplasty surgery. The key to surgery at your age is not to overdo it. A small amount of skin removal can often make a dramatic improvement.

I might also recommend trying a botox brow lift, which will produce a subtle elevation of your brow position and will decrease the hooding slightly. If you are interested in non-surgical options, I would try this first, but the improvement is likely to be subtle.

Mitesh Kapadia, MD, PhD
Boston Oculoplastic Surgeon