I woke up with extremely swollen lips! Is this normal? (Photo)

I got my lips injected for the first time. I asked for them to be done conservitely and the bottom one bigger. I woke up the next day with Dolly Parton lips. My upper lip is huge and I look like a duck. Is this the end result ?

Swelling after lip filler

Hello, and thanks for your question. Post-filler swelling can take 1-2 weeks to fully subside, so it may be early to assess your final result. If you are not pleased with your final result, the product can be dissolved with injection of an enzyme called hyaluronidase. To maximize the likelihood of a favorable outcome, I recommend that you only get treated by an expert. Hope this opinion is helpful to you. Best of luck, Dr. Frucht.   

Santa Barbara Dermatologic Surgeon

Swollen Lips will Subside after Lip Filling

Dear cynthia14455:

It is not uncommon for lips to swell after filling.  Rest assured that the initial swelling will subside within 2 weeks. All the best.

Swelling very common after fillers.

Yes, swelling is almost universally seen with fillers to the lips. This will settle down in 5- 10 days, and lips look their best in the second week. Don't stress, things will settle. All the best, Dr Davin Lim. Brisbane. Australia. 

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

Swollen lips

Thank you for your question. Swelling is very common after lip fillers. Some people can swell worse than others. As long as you don't have increasing pain, worsening redness, or fever, it appears your swelling is not concerning at this point. Swelling usually subsides from one to two weeks. Ice can be helpful as well. I would contact your injector for their icing regimen recommendation.

Lip swelling after filler

Yes, this degree of swelling is very common the morning after lip filler injection. It goes down fairly quickly over the course of that day and will continue to go down further for another 5 days after. Your lips will likely settle down to exactly what you were looking for, just be patient. Be sure to keep some lip balm on them.

Lisa Vuich, MD

Lisa Vuich, MD
Nashua Physician

Lip filler and swelling

This is not the end result.  The lips often swell for up to 2 weeks following filler injection.  The swelling should get better throughout the day and be less pronounced each morning. 

Suzan McGary, MD
Williamsport Thoracic Surgeon