Am I a good candidate for tummy tuck (mommy makeover)? (Photo)

ok so the assistant of the doctor i want to have work done with just told me last nigth i had to lose weigth or else i couldnt do the momy makeover (tt+lipo+bbl+ba) all in one. im scared because ive been trying so hard to lose weigth but im stuck where i am. im so stress and uncomfortable about the way my body looks that it makes it even harder. im tall im 5"11 im made big ( bones) can i still be a good candidate for momy makeover surgery even tho my bmi is more then 30???

Mommy Makeover /Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/Tummy Tuck/Liposuction/BBLL

I appreciate your question.

For health and safety reasons, best to be at a BMI less than 30 or within 10 pounds of your goal weight and stable at that weight for 6 months prior to surgery for optimal results.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Depends on more than just BMI

Looking at your pictures alone, I think you would be a good candidate for a mommy makeover. As a patient's BMI goes up, it can increase the risk of surgery, but with appropriate pre-operative assessment and post-operative care, these risks can be lessened and reasonable in my opinion. If you were my patient, more so than focusing just on the BMI, I would encourage you to add cardio exercise to your weekly routine - aiming for 30 min sessions 4-5 times per week. I would always expect a better outcome for a lady with BMI of 33 who exercises daily than a lady with a BMI of 30 who is a couch potato.

I do think it is important to not attempt to do too much at once, no matter what your BMI is. Personally, I would suggest doing a tummy tuck with flank liposuction and breast augmentation first, followed by further liposuction and BBL at a later date. Ideally, after a BBL it is best to not put excessive pressure on the buttocks and this is difficult when a tummy tuck is done at the same time. I feel you would have a safer easier recovery from the first part (TT and BAM) and better result from the second (BBL).

Find a board certified plastic surgeon who you feel comfortable with talking about these issues and keep doing the things you know you should be doing (exercising, making good food choices, etc) in the meantime and you should have a great outcome and a change that will make you very happy.

Am I a good candidate for tummy tuck (mommy makeover)?

Thank you for your question.  It's best to be close to your ideal weight before proceeding with a surgery like this.  You would achieve a better aesthetic result and reduce the risk of complications if your BMI is under 30.  Otherwise you would be a good candidate for a mommy makeover.  Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck.

Zachary Farris, MD

Why can't I have mommy make-over with BBL with BMI above 30?

Thank you for asking about your mommy make-over.

• Your BMI is not your weight but your height-weight proportions.
  • You will have a better result and lower risk of complications with a BMI below 30.
  • If you cannot lose the weight, ask your surgeon if s/he will consider doing the surgery in stages.
  • Doing a long procedure on a patient with a high BMI makes serious complications more likely.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

#mommymakover #weightloss #BMI

A mommy makeover is a marketing term frequently  used to describe a combination of surgeries that include 2 or more of the following surgeries: # tummytuck,# breastlift, breast #augmentation, #liposuction, # buttocklift.

From the photos, you appear to be a good candidate for surgery. The question of your BMI really relates to results and your expectations. With a high BMI, I usually recommend that the patient to try to lose a bit more weight and get as close to their ideal body weight as possible.

In my opinion, a elective cosmetic patient should not have an outpatient surgery over than about 5-5/12 hours. In addition, front vs back in terms of healing, I would not recommend the BBL at the same time as abdominoplasty and like to stage  these as separate surgeries.

Jack Peterson, MD
Topeka Plastic Surgeon

What is a Mommy Makeover?

A mommy makeover is a generalized term for any COMBINATION of procedures to restore a women's body to a pre pregnancy appearance and may include procedures on the abdomen, thighs, breasts, buttocks and/or arms.  It may call for skin removal, fat removal, implants lifts and tucks, all customized to each individual.

Based on the photographs submitted, it would appear that you are an excellent candidate for a mommy makeover procedure if your weight is stable and are finished with child bearing.  You need to be in excellent health and a non-smoker if considering a tummy tuck.  If you are unhappy with your first consultation, then I would seek a second opinion from a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in body contouring procedures to assure the best possible result.

Good Luck!

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Are You Candidate for a Mommy Makeover

It's difficult to suggest without a in-person one-on-one consultation. The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction. 

#Combined operations are often performed with our #Gynecology colleagues. Tubal ligation is a common post pregnancy procedure which is done at the time of many of the surgeries included with a #MommyMakeover. If you require a gynecologic operation or study (laparoscopy) and are considering a plastic surgery procedure, discuss these issues with your physician and board-certified plastic surgeon. Also, combining these #procedures may decrease anesthetics, costs, and recovery time.

In addition to a one-on-one consultations with a board certified Plastic Surgeon, patients always need to be seen by their primary care doctor prior to such procedures.  We screen every patient and their medical records for risks of blood clots (DVT) and then take appropriate measures.  MWL (massive weight loss patients of  75 lbs or more) tend to have poor skin elasticity and will frequently need additional tightening even afte 6 -12 months regardless of who or how their surgery is performed. This is simply the nature of such body tissues and the ability to heal with the lack or limited elasticity.

Your procedures should be performed by a #PlasticSurgeon who is board-certified and has a great deal of experience specializing in cosmetic #surgery. You will then greatly improve your chances of getting the result you desire, and, without the need for a revision surgery. It is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision.

High BMI and mommy makeover

Thanks for sharing your question. I can appreciate your concern.

High BMI patients are at higher risk for complications. I think that in your case if your expectations are reasonable, you should be able to have a good result. However, the less that you weigh, the better the outcome

Finally, make sure that you have a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon.

Wishing you the best in your journey

Mommy makeover and body contouring options

Thank you for the question and photos.  I think you can potentially get a very good result at your current weight status especially if liposuction is done of the lower back and BBL is performed.  Each plastic surgeon has his/her own preferences so it may not be a bad idea to get a few other consultations and opinions.  In the end, discussing what you would like to achieve (your expectations) with your plastic surgeon will be the key since that will in part determine of additional weight loss is needed prior to surgery.  A plus size tummy tuck is a good option for women who still have some additional weight. The before and after photo link below is an example of one of my plus size tummy tuck patients.

Good luck with your tummy tuck journey.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD