6th day after TT and chest reduction, one and only drain removed on the third day. I'm a 50 year old male.

I'm surprised I am that I want to just stay in bed. I read here that being in bed was for sleeping not resting. Yesterday I walked around the block, fairly erect, today for 10 minutes on a treadmill. I stopped taking the prescribed pain meds. I just feel like I want to lie back down after I do anything other then lying in bed. I also wonder if the 3 Velcro strap binder is contributing to my lethargy? The tiredness feels more so in my head then in my body. thank you for any support

Too much too soon

You had a very significant surgery and your level of activity is completely inappropriate.  You should be in bed resting.  You are going to undue all of the hard work that was performed in the operating room with all of this activity so soon after surgery.

After tummy tuck surgery, I advise the patients to take two weeks off from work. The patients may return to work, but may not engage in any strenuous activity. At two months, the patients start low impact cardio. At three months they can engage in more strenuous physical activity. If anything hurts or causes swelling, we ask them to back off somewhat. If you exercise or do some particular activity that results in pain or swelling you are doing too much for your personal recovery at that time.  Not everyone heals the same.  You need to make sure that you don’t cause more swelling.  Fighting the swelling or working through the pain will certainly backfire. I prefer the patients to stay in town for two weeks if they from more than 2-3 hours away.  I do not allow patients to fly before 2 to 3 weeks at the very minimum.

San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Wanting to lay down?

Thanks for this question. Surgery recovery is certainly challenging for most people. Anesthesia and postoperative anemia is more likely to be causing you to feel this way and not so much your postoperative garment. You may have done too much by walking around the block yesterday. Speak with your plastic surgeon about the way you're feeling and see what they recommend. 

Best wishes and good luck, Dr. ALDO :)

Top 100 Doctor for Realself 

Realself Core Physician

Aldo Guerra, MD

Lethargy

You just had major surgery.  With that said feeling tired is normal.  Most people think that you should be back to normal in just a few days.  The answer is no.  It takes 6 weeks to recover from a major operation.  That doesn't mean that you can't walk or drive a car after a week.  But if you do go back to work or do normal things you will tire earlier and easier.  I usually tell people they can go back to work after a week or two as long as they are not doing strenuous activity such as lifting more than 10 lbs.  However I do tell them they may want to just work a half day at a time for awhile.  Any surgery will "knock you back" especially at age 50.  People take longer to bounce back from surgery at age 50 than at age 20 or 25. The binder is to help keep swelling down. It can make breathing more difficlult especially if your muscles were tightened with surgery.  Make your concerns known to your surgeon as he alone knows how your sugery went as well as your risks and medical history.

Randy Proffitt, MD
Mobile Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck and chest reduction - where is my energy?

Thank you for asking about tummy tuck and chest reduction surgery.

It is a bit early to exercise but you sound more tired than usual. I think you should contact your surgeon and review your fatigue. The binder may be too tight and restricting your breathing, you could just recover slowly or there may be something else at work - such as a low blood count or low blood pressure. So give your surgeon a call.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes. Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD