6th day after TT and chest reduction, one and only drain removed on the third day. I'm a 50 year old male.

I'm surprised I am that I want to just stay in bed. I read here that being in bed was for sleeping not resting. Yesterday I walked around the block, fairly erect, today for 10 minutes on a treadmill. I stopped taking the prescribed pain meds. I just feel like I want to lie back down after I do anything other then lying in bed. I also wonder if the 3 Velcro strap binder is contributing to my lethargy? The tiredness feels more so in my head then in my body. thank you for any support

Lethargy

You just had major surgery.  With that said feeling tired is normal.  Most people think that you should be back to normal in just a few days.  The answer is no.  It takes 6 weeks to recover from a major operation.  That doesn't mean that you can't walk or drive a car after a week.  But if you do go back to work or do normal things you will tire earlier and easier.  I usually tell people they can go back to work after a week or two as long as they are not doing strenuous activity such as lifting more than 10 lbs.  However I do tell them they may want to just work a half day at a time for awhile.  Any surgery will "knock you back" especially at age 50.  People take longer to bounce back from surgery at age 50 than at age 20 or 25. The binder is to help keep swelling down. It can make breathing more difficlult especially if your muscles were tightened with surgery.  Make your concerns known to your surgeon as he alone knows how your sugery went as well as your risks and medical history.

Mobile Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck and chest reduction - where is my energy?

Thank you for asking about tummy tuck and chest reduction surgery.

It is a bit early to exercise but you sound more tired than usual. I think you should contact your surgeon and review your fatigue. The binder may be too tight and restricting your breathing, you could just recover slowly or there may be something else at work - such as a low blood count or low blood pressure. So give your surgeon a call.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes. Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS