Right Breast is Bigger Than the Left After BL/BA? (photo)

I had a BL/BA 5 weeks ago and my right breast is bigger than my left...He put 450cc in my right and 400 cc in my left...What I don't understand is that my left one was a bit smaller prior to surgery... My PS said that he couldn't put a 450cc implant in my left boob because it wasn't as wide as the right one and it wouldn't fit....Will it resolve and be the same size eventually??? Here are different pics at different stages ....

Asymmetric breasts after lift and augmentation

Thank you for your photos! I can understand your concern, but at 5 weeks post-op from a mastopexy with augmentation, it's too soon to worry.  Everyone is different with healing times so try to be patient and give it 3-6 months and re-evaluate then with your surgeon.  Also keep in mind that no one is perfectly symmetrical.  Continue with your follow up visits so photos can be taken to track your recovery.  If after all your swelling has gone down and your right breast is noticeably larger than your left, that would be the time to discuss your revision options with your surgeon. ac

Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Normal anatomic asymmetry

The result that you have is quite good. What appears to be a larger or smaller breast preop may not correlate with the final volume placed in the implant at the time of surgery. I have had many patients who ended up needing more volume in the "apparently" larger breast because most breast volume differences are not a symmetrically larger breast. In other words, there are other factors that can create an apparent difference in size such as a difference in width, a difference in the projection of the ribcage, or differences in the height of the breasts. Breast augmentation cannot create exactly symmetric breasts, and in many circumstances, will actually increase asymmetry. If you look carefully at your pre and post op photos, you can see that the right breast is wider, but the left breast is longer from top to bottom. This most likely accounts for the needed difference that was placed. Some improvement may occur as time goes by, but the main thing to understand is that no two breasts, even on the same person, are identical.

this information is for educational purposes only and is not a substitute for a consultation with a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

Normal anatomic asymmetry

Asymmetry of breasts at 5 weeks

At this early stage I would give it more time to heal and for the swelling to subside.  Good luck and keep an eye on it.

Asymmetry of breasts at 5 weeks

Breast Asymmetry

Thank you for your pictures.  I would wait at least 3 months before make any final judgement.  I understand your confusion about the math because I am a bit confused by the plastic surgeon's reasoning.

Dr. ES

Breast Asymmetry

Dr. ES

Breast size difference

I would wait 6 months before making a final decision.  By that time the swelling should be resolved and settling should be complete.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Breast size difference

Still healing one month after breast lift and breast augmentation.

It's too early to push the panic button. Asymmetry is easily explained by swelling in this needs to resolve before a final pronouncement is made.

Breast asymmetry after breast lift with augmentation

Thanks for sharing your photos.  It is hard to give you an advice without examining you in person.  Depending on how photos are taken (angle, rotation), one breast may look larger or different from the other breast.  Based on your photos provided, your immediate (3 days) postop photos reveal that your breasts looked fairly symmetric.  5 week postop photos do show the right breast slightly larger than the left.  However, this may again be due to the way photo was taken.  Couple things to keep in mind. 1) For all women, there is a difference between left and right breast in terms of size and shape. 2) Implants take time to settle down.  My recommendation is that you should wait at least couple more months to evaluate your breast for symmetry/asymmetry.  Talk with your plastic surgeon to share your concern. 

Right Breast is Bigger Than the Left After BL/BA?

Photos are very helpful but not a substitute for in person exam

I see what looks like overall a very nice outcome, and one that has been improving over the course of the recovery. If indeed the right side was larger, I too am not sure why a larger implant was used on the right. There is a hint of a size difference, but again, a single view is not always enough to make that assessment. 

I would encourage some patience, as relative size change can occur up to to 3 or more months, the time it takes for the pectoral muscles to relax to accommodate the implants. 

All the best. 

All the best. 

Yes your story does sound unusual! Why would your PS place the larger implant in the larger pre op breast is what concerns me. Guess you will need a revision. Sorry. //

Need more time to judge the final result

You are still very early after your surgery.  Most of your questions would be best answered by your plastic surgeon.  He seems to have used his best judgement to give you a symmetric result.