Never been in surgery: breast reduction.

I'm having surgery next Thursday and I've quit for about 4 weeks now is it safe for me to have surgery im from Monticello Arkansas and I'm having my procedure in Little Rock Arkansas Dr Abtaham is my surgeon and I'm nervous I'm 22.

Anxiety before breast reduction.

Thank you for asking about your breast reduction.

• It is normal to be anxious before any surgery, especially when it is a first for you.
  • By quitting, I assume you mean cigarettes - excellent and surgery should be fine but be sure your own surgeon knows how long you have stopped.
  • If you have a surgeon with whom you are comfortable, chances are all will be fine.
  • It may help to see her/him a second time before surgery or to at least have a phone chat to reassure you.
  • Please have the surgeon be very very clear about the kind of reduction you are having --
  • The anchor reduction is a good operation but it can leave an unsightly scar right across the breast crease - be prepared for this if this is the technique needed for you.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Anxiety before breast reduction.

Congratulations on your decision to proceed with breast reduction surgery; this operation tends to be one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform.

Anxiety prior to surgery is very normal; its complete elimination is usually not possible. Assuming you have chosen your plastic surgeon carefully, other important "variables" such as anesthesia provider and surgery facility will be selected based on everyone's first priority: safety. This careful selection should give you some peace of mind that you will be safe around the time of surgery. Discuss your specific areas of concerns with your plastic surgeon who will be in the best position to help you calm your nerves.  

I ask my patients to try to be as calm as possible prior to surgery; this “calmness" tends to translate to a smoother postoperative course. You may be able to alleviate some pre operative anxiety with music, exercise, meditation, a glass of wine (if ok with your surgeon),   and positive/objective focus on the long term outcome/benefits etc. prior to your procedure.

Generally, patients find that they did “get worked up for nothing” after their recovery is completed.

Breast reduction surgery

Provided that your plastic surgeon is board certified and regularly performs breast reduction surgeries, the risk of complication is notably low.  Nonetheless, it is understandable that you still feel anxious about the surgery; this is quite normal. 

Four weeks of complete smoking cessation gives the body enough time to naturally flush the detrimental effects of tobacco, particularly the nicotine which is a strong vasoconstrictor (it shrinks the blood vessels, ultimately preventing oxygen and nutrients from effectively reaching the wound, thus increasing the risk of poor healing and skin necrosis). 

Good luck and best wishes. 

Smoking and Breast Reduction

It is normal to be nervous.  Your doctor will make sure that you are well cared for.  It is reasonable to stop smoking four week prior to surgery.  Best wishes.

Smoking and surgery

Hello and congrats on quitting smoking! Hopefully your surgeon also informed you that not only is it important to stop smoking but also important to stop and avoid all nicotine products. Many people are not informed that this also includes nicotine patches and second hand smoke. I usually request my patients to stop smoking and avoid all nicotine products for at least 4 weeks before and then 4 weeks after surgery. The risk of certain complications are still higher in someone who has a history of RECENTLY quitting nicotine compared to one who doesn't/hasn't smoked. The main issue here is with constriction of blood vessels leading to poor blood flow and poor blood supply. You need a good blood supply for healing to occur, to fight infection and for skin to live. When I perform operations on smokers I tend be a little more conservative in the operation and inform them that this is the case. Wishing you the best of luck!

Ankur Mehta MD

Ankur Mehta, MD
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

#smokingcessation #breastreduction

Congratulations on stopping smoking all nicotine containing products, even vapor and second hand smoke. The reason you are asked to stop nicotine is because it increases the risk for post operative complications, especially wound healing. Stop the nicotine through complete wound healing.

Best of luck on your surgery

Jack Peterson MD

#realselftopdoctor

Jack Peterson, MD
Topeka Plastic Surgeon

Smoking and surgery

Surgery should be safe after not smoking for 4 weeks, but it's just as important to not smoke for at least 4 weeks after surgery, as well. This is a critical time for healing. 

Best wishes with your surgery!

Dr. Blagg

Austin, TX

Smoking and breast reduction surgery

Congrats on stopping smoking!  That is terrific and will have many health benefits (and wallet benefits) for you outside of the surgery.

Having said that, many of us prefer a minimum of 3-4 weeks of nicotine abstinence (all forms of nicotine) to help prevent wound healing problems and blood flow problems to the nipple.  Some surgeons command more time as in 6 weeks of nicotine free time before and after surgery.  There is no hard answer to the timeline here.  But, the longer you are nicotine free, the better.

Be aware that your surgeon may have a nicotine test waiting for you the morning of surgery.  Many of us do this.  Even second hand smoke can create a positive here and your surgery could be canceled and rescheduled because of this.  Stay away from all smokers and all forms of nicotine.  Best of luck to you!